WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

335i wont start after oil leak

patsbimmer1

Question

2007 335xi lost oil and shut down while going about 45mph. Oil was on ground towards front of engine. After having car towed to a garage I got underneath and found small amount of oil on ps lines in front and a small amount under the crank pulley on the belt. Display says the oil level is ok and afte trying to start the starter turns but does not engage the flywheel. Thorough inspection of the turbos and I cant find evidence that one of them went but for the life of me I can't find a leak. My thoughts are to clean everything, verify oil level then run it to find oil leak. Any ideas why the starter will not engage the flywheel?

2 answers to this question

It sat on a trickle charger from 9/21 to today. The battery voltage was 14.2v when I tried to start it. All electronics work and the starter kicks in with no issues but it is not engaging the flywheel. As far as why we had a loss of oil... I looked everything over and cannot find an obvious leak. The ps hoses were wet and the crank pulley had a little oil on the bottom of it. I am baffled at this point which is why I want to start it to see if I can ID a leak from underneath.