WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

need OBD1 scanner for '87 325e

tythomasc

Hi there!

I have an `87 325e that I can't get started.  My friend has helped test a lot of things to try to get it started to no avail.  We are thinking it could be an ECU problem at this point, however we wanted to get the OBD error codes before making any other moves.

Neither of us have access to an OBD1 reader, nor any adapter that connecting to a BMW may require.

The car is located on the East side of Madison.  Is there anyone out there who has the time to drop by and let us use an OBD1 scanner?  It shouldn't take long, and I can make it worth it for the time.

Also if anyone has a working ECU for the 2.7liter that we could test, that also could be very helpful.

Thanks,

TY

I have a factory bmw GT1 scanner and ISID as well, both which can scan your vehicle. Also have a 87' 325e that I wouldn't mind letting you borrow the dme from for testing. But have you tried the stomp test ? It give out flashes of the check engine light and references the codes stored in the vehicle. Also I am located in IL

Early systems (Motronic 1.1 only, I think) flash the fault codes automatically. If the check engine light comes on, leave the key in the On position, but dont start the car. The check enginelight will begin to flash the code after about 3 seconds. Each flash is separated by about 1 second. There arent many codes on this system

1 flash......Air flow sensor malfunction.
2 flashes....Oxygen sensor malfunction.
3 flashes....Coolant Temp. malfunction.
4 flashes....Throttle switch malfunction.

Late 1980's systems. Motronic 1.3

The fault codes for these systems will appear on the check engine light when you turn the ignition key to the On position (but dont start it), then: fully depress the accelerator pedal, then fully release it. Repeat the depress,release cycle 5 times fairly quickly, but not too fast. It should be completed in a few seconds. What you are doing here is clicking the wide open throttle switch then the idle switch each 5 times. This signals the Motronic unit to send the fault codes by flashing the Check Engine light. You should see the light flash once then it will start flashing the 4 digit codes. If there are no faults, you should see the 1444 code (and 2444 if you have a 12 cylinder). The codes appear as a series of flashes for each digit. The flashes indicating one digit are about 1 second apart, the next digit appears after a couple second interval. The rest of the fault codes appear in Table 1 below.