WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

warning to all E46 owners about your air bags.

Brian.

Question

BMW has issued a recall for certain 2002 and 2003 E46 3 series models, including the M3. The recall is for the front passenger airbag system produced by Takata for BMW. The propellant in the system was not produced correctly and could cause a dangerous explosion in a crash. Read on for all the details from BMW.

Q1. Which models are affected by this Recall?
Affected are certain model year 2002-2003 BMW 3 Series models, including the M3, as follows:

Model Year/Model - Inclusive Dates of Manufacture

• 2002-2003 / 3 Series Sedan - Jan 2002-Dec 2002
  • 2002-2003 / 3 Series Coupe - Feb 2002-Dec 2002
  • 2002-2003 / 3 Series Convertible - Feb 2002-Dec 2002
  • 2002-2003 / 3 Series Sports Wagon - Jan 2002-Dec 2002
  • 2002-2003 / M3 Coupe - Feb 2002-Dec 2002
  • 2002-2003 / M3 Convertible - Feb 2002-Dec 2002

Q1a. Is this Recall related to similar Recalls recently announced by Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda?
Yes.

Q1b. Why did it take BMW extra time to announce a Recall for the same issue? Why did the other vehicle manufacturers announce their Recalls several weeks ago?
The airbag system supplier informed the other vehicle manufacturers of this matter several weeks before they informed BMW of this matter and, in some cases, even earlier. Vehicle manufacturers engage in a similar engineering review and analysis process in order to determine if their vehicles are affected. Because the other vehicle manufacturers were informed by the airbag system supplier several weeks or more before BMW was informed, the other vehicle manufacturers were able to reach their conclusions before BMW was able to reach its conclusion.

Q2. What is the specific problem?
This Recall involves the passenger frontal airbag system. Specifically, the airbag system may have been manufactured with propellant that was not produced to specification. If the propellant was not produced to specification, in a crash in which airbag system deployment is required, the airbag system housing may rupture. If this were to occur, it could cause injury to the vehicle occupants.

Q3. Why are other models not affected?
Other models have a frontal passenger airbag system that was produced to specification.

Q4. How many vehicles are affected?
Approximately 42,080 vehicles in the US are potentially affected as follows:

Model - Approximate Number Affected

• 2002-2003 / 3 Series Sedan - 27,440
  • 2002-2003 / 3 Series Coupe - 4,670
  • 2002-2003 / 3 Series Convertible - 5,295
  • 2002-2003 / 3 Series Sports Wagon - 1,535
  • 2002-2003 / M3 Coupe - 1,830
  • 2002-2003 / M3 Convertible - 1,300

Q5. What can happen as a result of this issue?
If the airbag system propellant was not produced to specification, in a crash in which airbag system deployment is required, the airbag system housing may rupture. If this
were to occur, it could cause injury to the vehicle occupants.

Q6. Can the driver become aware of the problem?
No.

Q7. What corrective measures will be taken?
The passenger frontal airbag system will be replaced.

Q8. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue from the airbag system supplier, Takata.

Q9. Is BMW aware of any accidents or injuries associated with the Recall?
No.

Q10. Can customers continue to drive their vehicles?
Yes.

If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information. If for any reason you need to contact BMW Roadside Assistance, they can be reached at 1-800-332-4269.

Q11. How will customers be informed of the Recall?
Owners will receive a letter via First Class mail asking them to schedule an appointment with their authorized BMW center.

Q12. How will the Recall be performed?
Affected customers who make an appointment will have the passenger frontal airbag replaced.

Q13. How long will the repair take?
This repair may take approximately one hour; however, additional time may be required depending upon the BMW center's schedule. The repair will be performed free of
charge by your authorized BMW center.

Q14. How many vehicles have experienced this problem?
We are unaware of any vehicles that have experienced this problem.

Q15. When will I receive my owner notification letter?
Owners will be notified in May. However, parts will not be available until July; at that time, owners will be notified and instructed to bring their vehicle to their dealer.

Q16. Do I have to wait for my Recall letter in order to have my Recall performed?
Yes. Although an initial Recall notice will be mailed in May, BMW is in the process of implementing the Recall Campaign to ensure that the necessary parts are at the authorized BMW centers prior to instructing customers to take their vehicles in for repair.

Q17. I see the "TREAD Act Customer Reimbursement Plan" attached to my letter. Can you explain what that is about? Am I eligible for reimbursement?
If you have already had this repair performed at your own expense, you may be eligible for reimbursement of certain expenses that you incurred.

3 answers to this question

Guest Mott Power

Well... glad I didn't pick up that E46 I was looking at a little while back.  Hope other members get it resolved easily if they're affected.