WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

SWAP Questions and Car Part out Afterwards.

Guest MikoPR

Question

6 answers to this question

Guest stealthbimmer

So what exactly are you swapping? Just the trans, or the whole engine/trans. If just the trans you have the idea, you need the trans,shifter/linkage,master and lines, pedal box,flywheel/clutch, driveshaft, and yes you need to swap the dif. ECU should be fine.

If you are swapping the engine that is a whole nother can of worms. If you are swapping the motor, I recommend doing it all at once as it is much easier. As far as brake components, I believe they are virtually the same if not the same...no upgrade there.

Guest MikoPR

Yeah I think I'm picking it up tomorrow or Friday depending when I can get down there. Just ordered from FCR Groton front and rear Suspension components. Figured while I'm taking it apart might as well upgrade what needs to be. This past weekend went to Wales off of 83 there are an awesome set of Twisties up there went with "Smoking Rotor Chad" and have way too much roll imo.

OK So yes swapping the transmission first. Dropping off the motor at Kummrow so he can go over it and rebuild it for Turbo Build. So what are the can of worms with the M52 I was hoping it was going to be almost plug and play.

Dan whatever part you needed its yours that car was an AWESOME find.

Guest stealthbimmer

Personally, and this is just what I would do, hold off on the trans swap until you do the motor swap, it will save you alot of headaches. It is much easier to pull and replace the engine/trans as one. Why swap the trans, then have to swap the motor at another date...just making more work for yourself, but just my .02

As for the motor, all the sensors have to be changed, as well as the intake mani. There are 2 adaptors you need that are both available through turner, one for the coolant piping and another for the temp sensors. Exhaust is another issue, depends on if you are going to use the stock m50 1,000 lb cast exhaust manifolds, or the m52 headers. If you go with the headers then you will have to have the egr valve holes welded shut, along with the 02 sensors holes (unless you do what I did and just leave the o2 sensors in the holes and cut the wires) ....probably forgetting something. Are you doing the turbo right off the bat when you swap, or is that a down the line project?

Have any questions, or need some help let me know...its identical to the s52 swap I did in my e34.