WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e46 M3 non SMG transmission?

michael1972

Question

Rebuilding a transmission is something that will often times require a professional rebuild. I've seen a subaru 5 speed trans pulled apart, and its not for the faint of heart.

The question I might be asking is; why is the gear grinding? Where the fluids ever replaced (poor maintenance)? Was the owner beating on it and not properly shifting? For new synchros and a rebuild you're probably looking at $1500 for a shop to do it (based on Subaru 6 speed trans rebuilds).

The owner is going to have his bmw guy look at it tomorrow. He has 6 other cars and said he hasn't driven this one in about 6 months. He honestly seemed as if he was unaware of the problem. Everything else with the car he was upfront about and he says he is willing to do some more on the price depending on what he finds out about the issue tomorrow. And why does the 4th gear grind raise an eyebrow more then any other?

Just make sure the rest of the car is 100%, get a PPI done. An E46 M3 is one of the last cars you want to skimp out on, its not an E36 M3, which is really really easy to maintain. Mine is going in to have the cracked subframe fixed in a month $$$. I just had inspection 2 done, which is $1,200 on the cheap if you cant DIY ( a lot of people don't feel comfortable adjusting valve clearance on an 8,000 rpm motor). My alternator recently packed up, and at the end of the year the I will be replacing the rod bearings as well. I'm just saying you kind of really have to love these cars to put up with them. It like a girl on the hot / crazy scale. They are high maintenance and bitchy, but god are they great to drive the crap out of. Oh and this is also coming from a guy with an M3 that is currenlty deciding not to crank over :mad:

Posted Image

post-729-136211549886_thumb.jpg

He had the subframe welded and the valves adjusted after he bought it. Rod bearing recall was done under warranty in 2004 and it had a new rear diff put in, in 2007.

Good to hear! Just remember, valves get adjusted every 20,000 miles, or less depending on how "enthusiastic" you are with the car. Also don't forget the diff fluid, the diffs are very picky. Change every 32,000 with the crazy expensive OEM fluid $140 :eek:My diff was starting to make some scary noises until I did a flush (only 60,00 on my diff).

But again, if you really love these cars, there is nothing else out there that would be better to walk out to every day. Get the car and have a blast! I know I do :cool:

Ok so I was able to sell my 530 after only 2 days on craigslist,so that freed up some extra cash. I spent a extra $2,500 and got a 2003 M3 fully loaded with no known issues. Drove het home from Minnesota last night no problems. It was hatd to see my beloved e39 go,but I'm loving the M3 even more. I would post pics but cant figure out how.