WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Brief burnt oil smell this morning.

Snyperx

Question

Seems my issues will never end:( This morning I was parked at a slight incline. I turned the engine off and ran inside for less than a minute. I came back out and started the car and got a waft of burnt oil smell from the vents. It dissipated in less than a block and never came back after that.

Now if you have been following my other threads over on E90post I recently had the water pump replaced after it failed on the way into work. Could my little incident be related? Could it just be the valve cover gasket at 80k? All input is appreciated.

I would like to mention that the plugs were replaced in the last couple of months with the old ones looking fantastic for having 70k+ on them. I also changed the oil filter housing gasket last year.

10 answers to this question

Yes. $1200, but have a 2 year dealer warranty.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

LoL wow. Well its not 2 years. its 12 month part warranty. But even if a indi shop does it and uses bmw factory parts the parts are still covered 12 months. Bet you just did a water pump and not a thermostat also correct? I could of done the job for about half that.

LoL wow. Well its not 2 years. its 12 month part warranty. But even if a indi shop does it and uses bmw factory parts the parts are still covered 12 months. Bet you just did a water pump and not a thermostat also correct? I could of done the job for about half that.

Yeah I am sure you could of saved me some money, but considering I had broken down on the side of the road and the dealer was the best option. I had no alternate transportation either. They did in fact replace both the pump and stat.

Edited by Snyperx