WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Outlet Lifter Replacement on a 2006 E90

Snyperx

Question

Ok, so I took my 2006 325i to Zimbrick so they could diagnose a tick I was hearing in my engine (N52). They called be back today and confirmed that it was my outlet lifter making the ticking. I am sure some of you are aware that this is a known issue with some of the N52 engines. SO they tell me that it will cost $2134 to replace the lifters. I said screw that noise. I requested a list of the parts they want to replace which they provided. I can get the parts for $336. Has anyone here worked on lifters or at least the top half of the engine on the newer BMW's? I am pretty handy and mechanically inclined so I think, with some help, I should be able to do this. Please respond back. Thanks!!

Edited by Snyperx

11 answers to this question

I have done it plenty of times on e90s and e60s. Special tools are needed to set the timing and lock the crank at tdc. Also need a tool to hold down the #2 valve spring as it is opened at tdc. Not something you shoukd try and tackle. Also the toque spec and sequence is very specific and can do damage to the cam if not done corrextly.

I have done it plenty of times on e90s and e60s. Special tools are needed to set the timing and lock the crank at tdc. Also need a tool to hold down the #2 valve spring as it is opened at tdc. Not something you shoukd try and tackle. Also the toque spec and sequence is very specific and can do damage to the cam if not done corrextly.

Yeah, the more I read the cylinder removal procedure (Bentley Manual) the more I think I'll just let it be. At this stage I can't afford to get it fixed and am hoping it just stays an annoying sound.

Edited by Snyperx

If you were ever interested in having it done i could do it for about $650 + parts which i can get at employee discount. But you would have to drive to IL

I will have to consider. In your opinion can I leave it be? I mean from what I have read it is more an annoyance than anything. It is caused from the oil drain down and poor hydraulic lifter design. I have read a lot of people who have had the lifters replaced only to have the sound come back. The ultimate solution is suppose to be a new redesigned cylinder head. In either case it will cost a ton since my car is well out of warranty.

No more new cylinder heads. Now they replace the exhaust lifters and followers. Which to this day i have yet to have a come back with the same noise. Also its just an annoyance. But again who wants to pull up in a bmw that sounds like shit.

That explains the 589 part number that you can't find anywhere. Must be to new.

I got the exact same quote and diagnosis from Zimbrick for the ticking noise on my 2006 330xi.  People have commented that it just noisy, however there has to be wear taking place. How long have people had the issue without mechanical / lifter failure? I'm new to the WI Bimmmers!