WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Brakes....

bimmerhodge

Question

I have a 1991 318is. This summer I swapped in an OBDI M52B28 with a 50k mile ZF trans. There are still some kinks to work out, but it's an awesome car so far.

The real reason I'm posting:

I'm having an interesting brake problem.

When I did my engine swap, I drilled new holes thus relocating the booster to the drivers side .5". All seemed well. I can drive on the highway long distance no problem. But. If I rip around town for say 30 mins (using the brakes more often than highway, obviously) ALL FOUR BRAKES LOCK UP. Brake pedal/clevis/pushrod seem to be adjusted correctly. I even threaded the pushrod further out than the manual suggests this morning. After around 30 mins of driving, I pulled into the driveway with all 4 brakes hung up. Brake booster doesn't seem to have any leaks, I tested by removing the vacuum hose on the front and plugging it, idles just the same. If you have any ideas... please share. I'll probably buy a master and booster from gunmetalgrey... but just in case anyone has a clue I figured I'd ask.

If more information is needed, I'm sure I can get it for you.

3 answers to this question

Is there an amout of freeplay in the clevis+pushrod or booster mounting point which may cause it to bind up?

It would be incredibly strange to have all four calipers sticking at the same time and have it not be an issue with the linkage, booster, or MC sticking/binding up.

I also have a booster/MC for sale in case you dont end up getting what you need from gunmetalgray