WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Joseph Kony... probably heard of him

camarok

So I suppose I'll comment here. Let me first say, I won't sensor anyone's political views or anything like that, so don't get me wrong... This won't go anywhere, just a discussion.

I'm a huge fan of the Internet, design, and the fact that both lets us reach people all over the world for pretty much free. This Kony 2012 video is awesome proof of that, as it's everywhere, and more importantly... It's motivated people to walk away from their seats behind their computers, iPads and iPhones.... So kudos to the guy for that.

I guess just a few things bother me about all of this.

Our economy sucks and our military is overstreached and stressed. So when they went to Washington and asked for attention on the subject and were told no... I don't blame Washinton.

So our economy sucks, yet I'm asked to donate to their cause of plastering Kony 2012 everywhere. I probably wouldn't think it was a terrible idea, except I see they have one he'll of a headquarters, and what appears to be a ton of brand new vans with Kony 2012 decals all over them. Where is my money going? More vans and to pay rent on that huge ass building you have? Why can't you use your own cars to do the sticker and poster bombing? Now.... I could be wrong, maybe all of that stuff is donated. I'd just be more likely to donate to something that wasnt so commercialized. If I had a passion like this, all of my money would go to the project, not flair.

So, this super creative guy made friends with someone in a shitty, granted, very shitty situation. So now we're all motivated to send our money and fight to arrest Kony. It's a shame he didn't take a walk in one of any of the major us cities in America and run into one of the over one million homeless children in America, or over fifty thousand homeless veterans.

Why aren't we more focused on those veterans? The ones who get sent to assist in catching Kony and then months later leave the military and live on the streets? Or how about we go after Obama trying to cut healthcare benefits for veterans and take their retirement? I mean, he's calling for these military members to come help support his cause, right?

Let's be honest. There are a ton of issues we could say deserve equal attention. And I can't fault this guy for finding one he is passionate about. But my issue comes with this generations interest in saving the world and being blind to issues at home. Why all the interest in adopting kids from other countries but not American kids? Why do still have such a lack of respect for our service members? I love getting dirty looks and comments about my military service from people my age.

Folks, I've been around the world, there are tons of issues overseas that could use the attention of our great nation. But I came back home and see many of these issues are in our backyard. If we keep going out and helping our neighbor, we're going to be the ones needing help soon. I would challenge my friends to not buy into the (admittedly) very slick graphics and heart wrenching stories... Go volunteer in your own community, and have the pleasure of actually seeing the effects of your time and money.

^^ I just now figured out who that is in your avatar......

And I do agree with a lot of what you said Alex. Its too bad all the important issues of the world dont have a team of people making campaigns for them. Of course, if they did, the internet would be full of horrible stories that most people have never heard of, and would rather NOT know about. The world we live in isn't exactly a beautiful place, and there are probably thousands of "Kony" people around the world that will never make even the most obscure American newspaper headlines :(

Alex I'm right there with you, the subject issue could have been more directed towards something from our homeland, as the guy pushing this project is from here. I understand the funding of the project isn't really a "not for profit" thing. His little video did strike quite a note with lots of people, and what's intrigued me most was that he is using propaganda to push his thoughts, and quite honestly it works quite well. This whole making people aware is not a new idea, but I think for the situation it really is grabbing people's attention.

Oddly I think this is a great example of how people can get together for the same cause. I think it opens people up that world wide we can do things like this. I don't think that many other situations would strike people as hard if it hadn't had to do with children being abducted and forced to murder and maul. I hope this is a start of awareness that can be pushed for other problems within and outside of boarders. The biggest problem is finding people with time and motivation to get organized and stick with something, and run with the idea.