WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Gas charged seat struts

6670charger

Question

From anyone who's changed them in the past, what is the best way to compress the gas charged struts for the seat recliners in an E30 so they can be reattached to the studs they mount to. I've managed to get the old struts off, but the new ones are much stiffer, and need to be compressed about a half inch or so to mount them. I've managed to get the old ones out without having to remove the seat back from the seat itself. Just need to get the new ones compressed enough so I can put them back together again.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Got it! Had to do two things. First, it helps to put the new struts in the freezer for about 30 min prior to working with them. Even as new as they are, the cold made them compress easier. Second, after attaching them to their upper studs, I had to turn the seat upside down on a sturdy end table, and then push straight down on the struts by putting the tip of a large flat tip screwdriver against the slight lip on the strut's lower attaching point and push straight down on it until it slipped onto the stud. 

Changed both struts without having to completely remove the seat back from the seat itself as shown on some videos. 

Had to replace the little notched washers that hold the strut onto the upper mounting stud. Found some at NAPA for about $5. The lower ones pried off and tapped back on without a problem.

Driver's seat next weekend!

Good to know, that would make sense to freeze them, gas pressure must decrease significantly.  I replaced the trunk shock and the vert cover mini shocks on my e30 but those you are able to get onto the studs without compressing them at all.  Definitely a worthwhile investment if they don't work, the trunk just shoots up when the button is pressed with a new shock.  And the vert cover no longer falls on your head when trying to stow it away.