WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I need help picking out a new laptop..

Guest piku

I found one that sounded great..and then bestbuy decided to discontinue it..SO I need suggestions..

This is the one I was going to get

So I looked at the same one on the dell website and bestbuy was a couple hundred cheaper..I may end up just spending a few hundred extra, getting it through dell and just upgrading everything..but I was curious if any of you had better suggestions. I have not been a happy dell customer in the past.

Guest Celina325is

I would suggest any HP computer, atleast an Intel i5, 6-8gbs of ram. whatever you need for memory, they give you a ridiculous amount these days anyways. My fiance just ordered hers off of their website with the promotion that included an Xbox, it was a good thing. I would avoid the dell, they tend not to play nicely with other people's software.

What are you planning on using it for? Knowing that will help pick out the laptop that is right for you. I currently have a Asus g73, cant say anything bad about it besides it being bigger and battery life but as far as performance it is up there with the best laptops right now. But its also almost double the price of what your looking at but i do think you get 2x the laptop.

I watch a lot of movies so I'd like a good video card and a larger screen- hoping for a 17in..however I also use it for school so I need it to be as light as I can possibly find..I'm not too concerned about battery life, as anything is better than the 45min life I have on my current laptop. I kind of need something that can run CAD programs too...my price range is under 700..so I'm kind of in a pinch.

I watch a lot of movies so I'd like a good video card and a larger screen- hoping for a 17in..however I also use it for school so I need it to be as light as I can possibly find..I'm not too concerned about battery life, as anything is better than the 45min life I have on my current laptop. I kind of need something that can run CAD programs too...my price range is under 700..so I'm kind of in a pinch.

good luck. any cad worthy laptop is already a bit over 700

Here is the newer version g74: 1TB hard drive, 8gb memory, HD screen, high end graphics card. This will handle CAD no problem. But a little more then you want to spend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/2712579.p?id=1218346639131&skuId=2712579

well I guess I'm not going to worry about the CAD shit..I can just use school computers for whatever it is I'm going to need to use [no idea..it's for an elective class that I may not even need]..I would really prefer getting something new with warranty..I guess I just want to hear your opinions on what is the best brand for under $800. I think HP is out in my book no matter what, I feel like I'll break it in 2seconds..

well I guess I'm not going to worry about the CAD shit..I can just use school computers for whatever it is I'm going to need to use [no idea..it's for an elective class that I may not even need]..I would really prefer getting something new with warranty..I guess I just want to hear your opinions on what is the best brand for under $800. I think HP is out in my book no matter what, I feel like I'll break it in 2seconds..

Brand is not important, its the specs of the laptop that matter.

Go with this: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AS7741G-6426-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B004G5ZXH0%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1404308-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004G5ZXH0

It has what you will want for movies and such, also will be pretty fast with the intel i-5, also has a 17" screen plus is on sale. This will probably be your best bet and you will have extra money to add more memory or such to it.

Or if you wanted to go the used route you could get this g73 for i assume $800 and you would be set for whatever you throw at it. Also its local.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/sys/2466255330.html

Edited by tsweers89