WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e36 M3 auto to manual swap

Guest SneezinM3

Question

Guest SneezinM3

So i plan on doing the auto to manual conversion over winter on my 97 m3. I may do it sooner if i can get all the parts faster. I just got done moving into a new apt. Which costed substanially more than i antisapated on spending. Anyways..just wondering if any of you guys on here have done the conversion..i have read most all of the how tos i could find but never really got to talk to someone who has done the swap.

Kinda of curious on what the difficulty level is. I am by no mean a rookie. I have done at least 25 auto to manual swaps just one 240's not to mention countless other cars..i do all my own work. I have all my own tools and i love turning wrenches so im looking at this as being fun just like any other project on a vehicle.

This is my first bmw that i have owned and worked on. I am aoooo in love with this car is crazy. And when i stopped out at scooters i saw a light green boosted m3 e36 which has got me itching to get boosting again. But first things first. Have to have a manual swapp done before anything else. Well coilovers are coming first then the auto to manual swap..

Anyone have any in sight on this subject you'd like to share??

Btw i have been leaning towards the e46 m3 6spd swap. Anyone prefer the m3 5 spd over 6 spd or whats a prefrence to everyone?

2 answers to this question

Guest SneezinM3

Thank you. That is what i was origanlly leaning towards then i start thinking hell 5 spd should do just as good. There is a e46 m3 6spd trans on local craistlist for $800 currently