WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Looking for help in troubleshooting an electronic/electrical issue

Snyperx

Question

Ok so I recently installed my new set of Blackline LED tail lights on my 2006 e90. Had an issue with the brake lights not working when the engine was running. Installed some anti-flicker modules from Jlevi Streetwerks and all is well with the brake lights.

I now noticed a new issue this time with the LED turn signals. When the car is off they work great. All you hear is the flasher relay clicking. When I start the engine instead of hearing the flasher relay you also hear a heavy buzzing with each relay click. The couple of things I came up with are:

• To much voltage going to the turn signal circuit when car is running
  • To much amprage going to the turn signal when the car is running.
  • To low voltage
  • To low amprage

Now the question is will any of these potential issues damage the LEDs? I would really like to get some help troubleshooting to see if I can find a solution whether that be adding a resistor or capacitor or even craking open the housings and changing out the relay. I need to find out what the actual issue is first though. Any volunteers? :cool:

8 answers to this question

Why even mess with LED's? I could see if its interior lighting and such. But when its for turn signals, plate lights, etc. Things that dont make that big of a difference, why deal with the headache. factory oem are just fine.

Wow, that wasn't the response I was hoping for. When I originally was looking for a BMW I wanted a LCI version of the car, but couldn't find or afford one. I liked the angel eyes and LED type lighting on the later BMW's. So to satisfy my pickyness I opted to get after market lighting options. I bought a set of Depo LED angel eye halogen head lights, LED side marker lights, and Depo Blackline tail lights (I prefer the LED rear turn signals and the look of the Blackline style rather than the ugly red ones that are stock on the pre-LCI model cars). Not to mention I don't have to worry about bulbs burning out with the LEDs.

I knew going into this that I may have issues with LED lighting because of the older DME in the early build e90's. Everything is working great minus the buzzing sound I mentioned in the OP.

Just looking for some folks that might be interested in helping. Might end up making a mini-meet out of this if enough people want to help.

What's odd is they still work fine. I mean the turn signals flash in sync with the side and front signals. It is just odd that I hear the buzzing when the car engine is on versus it being off.

Could a software upgrade solve this? I know when you checked my VIN awhile back you found that my car hasn't been "flashed" since 2007. Just a thought.

Seems odd that you get the buzzing with the car on. First off I don't think these cars use relays anymore for turn signals, I could be wrong...

The buzzing is usually caused by a lower amperage draw ( if a relay is still used ), but seeing as they work with the car not running this confuses me.

Do you have LEDs in the back and front?

Seems odd that you get the buzzing with the car on. First off I don't think these cars use relays anymore for turn signals, I could be wrong...

The buzzing is usually caused by a lower amperage draw ( if a relay is still used ), but seeing as they work with the car not running this confuses me.

Do you have LEDs in the back and front?

Yes, I have LED turn signals in the front and LEd brake and turn in the rear. Both sets are Depo brand. I am also confused which is why I am looking for help...LOL.