WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

any fabricators out there? or tig welders? dual alternators in my jetta

jockhater2

Question

Any fabricators local to me? Looking possibly for some help. Trying to get a second H.O. alternator where the A/C goes. But the bracket is for an mk3 vw. And my car is an mk2. So the alternator bolts up the A/C spot. But it touches the sub frame. I want a little more play room than that. The car needs a motor mount. My buddy says to see if it still touches after I change all the motor mounts.

IMG_20130428_171615_zpsb421ef59.jpg

IMG_20130428_171603_zpse3381366.jpg

IMG_20130428_171518_zpsb78a3236.jpg

IMG_20130428_171508_zps28f6a2c5.jpg

IMG_20130428_171350_zps2984d453.jpg

Ok. And for this. One of the screws stripped when I was pulling the one of the subs out of the box. So I had to pry it out. I cracked the basket slighty. My buddy says it can be tig welded. Its cast aluminum...anyone think they can help me out? I haven't taken a picture of the crack. But here is an old pic of the basket.

DSCF2766.jpg

8 answers to this question

Might be able with the clearance issues. But, I dont have a TIG welder, so I cant do anything for your sub. However, being that its a sub and cast aluminum, you probably will not be able to weld it. you will burn the cone up with all the heat. In order to weld cast you need to preheat, and that will cause issues. However, I can help with that subframe :)

Might be able with the clearance issues. But, I dont have a TIG welder, so I cant do anything for your sub. However, being that its a sub and cast aluminum, you probably will not be able to weld it. you will burn the cone up with all the heat. In order to weld cast you need to preheat, and that will cause issues. However, I can help with that subframe :)

I was thinking the same think about the sub. Meh. The crack isn't even that bad. baskets can always be replaced if I blow these. Which I most likely will.

What are your ideas for the front subframe? Which btw I am thinking about pulling one off a junkyard car that is less rusty. Mine is definitely seen way too many winters. That poor poor car.

I contacted The guy who built that alternator. He is also a machinist. I am just waiting for him to get back to me. If that alternator sat closer to the bracket. That would give me room.

My friend says that I should wait until I replace all of my motor mounts (because 1 or 2 are bad) and if that helps.

SPL car?

No sir. Winter Daily driver.

This car see's all the snow and salt that my bimmer doesn't.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS

3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground (done)

1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars (done)

380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford) (just need to get the ford one squared away)

RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch Ascendant Audio Mayhems (might go up for sale)

Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (and might build a PR set up too to play with)

Audison LRx 6.9k on Morel MDT-29 tweeters, RS100-4 full ranges & RS225-8 Dayton midbasses

Here is just the sub set up on about 2000 watts.

Front stage is going in after I finish up the engine work.

Cool man, nice setup. I was huge into car audio for years and did it for a living for quite a long time, it burnt me out and I totally lost the passion for it. I miss that hobby sometimes, but not for long enough to get back into it! I ran Morels in one of my previous cars, I had a soundstream amp flip out and burn up my tweeters. That was painful. I think they were MT23s.

Cool man, nice setup. I was huge into car audio for years and did it for a living for quite a long time, it burnt me out and I totally lost the passion for it. I miss that hobby sometimes, but not for long enough to get back into it! I ran Morels in one of my previous cars, I had a soundstream amp flip out and burn up my tweeters. That was painful. I think they were MT23s.

Losing a set of morels...WOULD SUCK.