WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

AC Schnitzer Created A BMW i4 M50 Police Car, AND did no performance upgrades. Blasphemy.

Jdesign

AC Schnitzer has worked its magic on a special BMW i4 M50 for Germany’s Tune It! Safe! campaign in Germany. But unlike most other products from AC Schnitzer, the powertrain of the i4 M50 has been untouched. In fact, the most significant performance upgrade is the fitment of a lowering kit. Factory the BMW i4 M50 is powered by a pair of electric motors that combine to produce 536 hp and 586 lb-ft of torque.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/12/ac-schnitzer-created-a-bmw-i4-m50-police-car/

What are your thoughts on this? Is AC Schnitzelheimer giving up on performance? Or is this a 1 time gig because of "Tune it safe"

AC-Schnitzer-BMW-i4-5.jpg

My guess is that generally, since more powerful motors are needed for increased power (there could be a possibility of milking more out of the existing ones with software tweaks, but brushless motor “tuning” is not a simple thing) and finding an e-motor that actually works with the existing control system and physically fits is going to be a huge challenge, they just said to hell with it and left it alone. Generally speaking, power upgrades with EV’s is going to be much harder than with IC’s.