WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

F15 35d // Build Thread

pynacl

I decided I wanted a bigger daily driver to haul odds and ends + the dogs. The E90 is great but just doesn’t cut it size-wise.

Originally set out to find an E70 X5 35d with the beautiful M57. I’d been searching for a while when suddenly saw an F15 35d pup up at a similar price point. It’s a bit high mileage at 145k, but overall pretty good shape. Came with plenty of maintenance records and some nice extras: Yakima roof rack with Thule wind deflector, thule ski box, remote start, OEM hidden hitch.

Sadly not an M Sport, but I really think the Imperial Blue on Terra interior makes up for it. I’m equally pumped and nervous to dabble into the diesel engines!

1D2E724E-BF4D-49AE-BD81-6BC83F5FA5EF.jpegF5A7FC9A-0AF7-415B-AA7B-50D971A73D34.jpeg4CB5F488-B4F6-41BB-B8E5-F58F8406E5AD.jpeg

38 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Man, we’re going to have to rename this site WIDiesels at this rate! Congrats on the pickup, I love the color combo!

Any plans for deleting or upgrading?

Lol! Definitely was inspired a bit by the first thread I saw from @YoungCR and his E70!

I’m planning on fully deleting the EGR + DPF and tuning sometime soon (I’ve heard that can put these N57s into the 600wtq range). I just know with this mileage the carbon build up is going to be insane from the emissions components. Say a prayer for me lol

Does anyone have some feedback on higher mile F15/E70's? I have been looking around but wondering if there are any larger issues that these cars face down the road?

I know some of the general stuff like 3rd row cars with airbags, general N55 stuff, etc.

I am kind of in your same boat with looking at an E70, but also seeing some higher mileage F15's for similar costs. I like the E70, but the F15 takes a huge jump in the looks.

The Imperial Blue and the brown is a great combo.

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

Does anyone have some feedback on higher mile F15/E70's? I have been looking around but wondering if there are any larger issues that these cars face down the road?

I know some of the general stuff like 3rd row cars with airbags, general N55 stuff, etc.

I am kind of in your same boat with looking at an E70, but also seeing some higher mileage F15's for similar costs. I like the E70, but the F15 takes a huge jump in the looks.

The Imperial Blue and the brown is a great combo.

I tried looking into this a lot given that my price range would be a higher mileage one. And I couldn’t really find any complaints of major issues other than the things you listed: n55 oil leaks, bags, and drivetrain servicing. 

Having air bags was a huge concern for me, but it seems like they’re pretty reliable and if a bag leaks, they’re not that expensive and replacing them is a very quick job. 

I have some slight shuddering/jerking as I coast to a stop. But I have everything coming to service the transmission, transfer case, and front diff. I’ve read of significant improvements in drivetrain feel after servicing everything. Also a new OBD tool that can reset adaptations. 

5 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

I believe the X5 35i uses the N55. From my research + owning an N55 335 recently I'd say they are pretty stout into the higher mileage. Most of the issues involve the common oil leaks - valve cover, oil filter housing (can drip onto belt and be sucked into the motor if it slips off, real bad stuff), and oil pan gasket. N55s also use an inferior oil pan design than the N54 or the V2 N55 used in the M2s (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763724) where at high lateral Gs it can starve the motor of oil and run into rod bearing wear. Probably not super likely on a big X5 though...

Otherwise I've read the transfer cases and two diffs hold up pretty dang well! I'm planning on doing what I think is this X5s first fluid changes, so I can report back how that goes. Most of the F15 X5 issues seem to be with the 35d and it's silly emissions components.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, gilber33 said:

I thought that one wasn’t bad. I bought a long piece of really flexible tubing for my fluid extractor so I could stuff it down the fill hole. Worked really well.

I think the worst part for us was just getting a tool on that fill plug. We had quite the interesting contraption to get it lol