WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What's the deal with E30 factory amps?

6670charger

I want to install an aftermarket stereo head unit in my car, and am still trying to sort out the wiring. I have the premium sound system, and it sounds as though all the speaker wiring is bundled somewhere behind the factory fader switch. Too bad nobody makes a stereo wiring harness adapter for these cars.

The thing that keeps coming up in many blogs and articles I've read in my research has to do with the factory amp. Seems that everyone talks about bypassing or disconnecting the amp when wiring in a new stereo to the existing speaker wiring. Is there some major difference between the amp on an E30 vs the E34? I had a couple of E34's in Germany a year or so ago, and had aftermarket stereo's in those cars. Never had to do anything with the factory amps, and got great sound!

I can see where someone wanting to re-do the entire system might bypass or eliminate the factory amp in favor of an aftermarket amp to drive all-new speakers or a speaker box. All I want to do is install an aftermarket head unit to the existing wiring so I can play CD's and my iPod.

Any thoughts on the factory amp?

the external fader sucks! just get the right wiring diagram and its pretty easy. on my first car, I had an aftermarket installed and they left the fader in. i never could get sound out of the front speakers and there always was a buzzing interference noise. then i had the radio stolen from the car and the thief trashed the wiring as they always do. i bought a different model stock e30 radio and just wired it in without the fader based on the wire functions and it worked like a charm with no buzzing. no amp upgrade needed for just a headunit and it sounded fine in the e30. and amp would make wiring easier, since you start from new and dont have to figure out all the stock wires, but it would just be extra crap in the car.

http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/

Edited by straight6pwr