WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E83 vs F25 X3's Advice

gilber33

Hey guys. I tried doing some of my own research but didn't have great luck finding the type of information I wanted. I'm going to wrap up the 850R and sell it. The e30 is at a point where I don't want two "projects" and I'd really like to scale back everything car related. So once the R is gone the plan is to find a small SUV - between a Q5 and X3. 

What are the main selling points between the e83 and f25? I know the obvious ones between the look and feel, but mechanically, are the f25's still easy to work on? I know there are some engines/years to avoid with timing chain guides, but are there other huge red flags with any other trims?

Hoping to hear some of those that might have had first  hand epxerience with them or generally know way more than I do about those engines and general ease of working on them. 

Thanks!

In my opinion your best bet would be an E70 x5 35D. E83s are great cars but it seems that as they get up there in miles. Things start to fail, like the transfer case etc. 

Possibly @wasnt m3 can weigh in. 

I know my dad daily drives his E83 with nearly 220k miles. Still going strong but have heard otherwise from others with that mileage. 

If you could find an early model F25 with the N52 that would be my choice. N52 would be the simplest and most reliable motor, the last NA 6cyl. I've never really been a fan of E83's, the build quality wasn't great imo and like Glen said they tend to have mechanical issues. The F25 is still gonna feel like a modern car vs the E83 will show its age. 

Having owned an n52 e83 for a decent amount of time, I will say it was a fantastic car. No major issues until 200k, when the transfer case started making funny sounds and I upgraded to an f15 X5 35i with the n55. That said, I can't imagine the e83 having kids...my e46 touring had more space. I'd go for the f25 in 6 cyl version if those were the only 2 options. If open to it, the x5 in either e70 or f15 might be a better fit. FYI, the e70 and f15 are identical, chassis wise.

Interesting. Thanks for the input! This wouldn’t be the primary child carrier. My wife has an Atlas with a 3rd row and we use that mainly. This would be occasional kids and mostly my daily. 

But I can see your point. I remember when I had my e46 wagon for a bit the rear seat was incredible tight with just two seats.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, wasnt m3 said:

Having owned an n52 e83 for a decent amount of time, I will say it was a fantastic car. No major issues until 200k, when the transfer case started making funny sounds and I upgraded to an f15 X5 35i with the n55. That said, I can't imagine the e83 having kids...my e46 touring had more space. I'd go for the f25 in 6 cyl version if those were the only 2 options. If open to it, the x5 in either e70 or f15 might be a better fit. FYI, the e70 and f15 are identical, chassis wise.

How reliable are the e70 X5 35i engines?

I'm really drawn to the Audi Q5 of this same era, and honestly is my first choice, but the early engines have timing chain failures and really bad oil consumption, and it seems like each engine following that has similar issues. I don't mind replacing something that is a known failure, but oil consumption isn't an easy fix.