WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Tossed a different set of wheels on the 240 today...

The Full Banana

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I've gotten to the point where I just don't have the time or desire to have two project cars, so the white car needs to go. I'd let it go for $1300 as it is right now. Someone, please come take it away.

of course, trades would still be great. my value for a trade is higher than the cash value to me right now.

Edited by The Full Banana

• 3 weeks later...

Could I get a quick scoop on what the interest is behind volvos? I know they last forever and that's all I know. Like for instance, what cheap Volvo would you buy for some decent gas mileage, moderate mods, and not a wagon. Haha. Perferably old. Like the old 240 cars I have seen.

They can be found very cheaply, and are RWD. Parts are very inexpensive and the cars are stupid reliable. They built more or less the same engine for 25 years, it's rock solid. Also, a lot of them came turbocharged, so it is VERY easy to add a turbo setup to any of them using all factory parts that are almost entirely bolt-on.

It's easy to make power, and when you blow it up, it's easy to get new parts, engines, etc cheap.

I love 240s, but a 740 or 940 will have pretty much the exact same drivetrain. A 93-95 940 turbo will be the best out of the box. It has the latest revisions of everything (piston oil squirters, thicker rods, better intercooler, strong trans, best factory EMS, locking diff, etc...) That said, if it were me I would get a 90-93 240 and turbo it.

Also, the idea of these old Volvo's being really good on gas, is an absolute farce. For some reason, everyone thinks that's true. A STOCK 240 with a manual trans and no turbo will manage 30-32mpg tops on the freeway, and in town... maybe 25. Even those figures are optimistic, and trust me... a stock NA 4 cyl Volvo is very, very slow. The turbocharged cars will do 27-28 tops on the freeway if you are really babying it, and more like 18 in town.

They are NOT fuel efficient cars, but they are very cheap to own. That and the fact that it's just something different is a lot of the appeal. Many people who are into Volvos are into them because it's a family tradition almost...

Edited by The Full Banana

Dude, the wagon's are were it's at. The sedans look cheesy.

Yea I asked the girlfriend about a wagon... Lets just say it was a no hahah. And I like sedans anyway. Why would you get a 240 and turbo it? And these things can be found in junkyards right? I just want a cheap daily. And I really like factory turbo. Haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Random update of some things I've done recently.

I made short strut coilovers for the car, and also converted to Mazda RX-7 brakes up front. Also opened up my strut towers to make room for more adjustment on my camber plates.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a set of CSL reps that I will be test-fitting soon. The width and offset should be pretty great for what I want. Here's a quick photoshop mockup.

Posted Image