WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Tossed a different set of wheels on the 240 today...

The Full Banana

• 3 weeks later...

More things:

Fancy stainless heater hose fittings showed up, so I replaced the crusty original fittings. 

DSC_0178.JPG

I used 3/16" stainless with tube sleeves and nuts from McMaster, and bent up some hardlines for the hydraulic release bearing. They exit the bellhousing through 3an bulkhead fittings. 

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

20t versus gtx3067r (this is with the wrong turbine housing that I had to send back)

DSC_0187.JPG

Ford GT500 60lb injectors with spacers

DSC_0189.JPG

Intake manifold is all welded up, ready for powdercoat. 

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

Clutch pedal lengthened and new bracket welded on for the hydraulic master. 

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

Transmission is ready to go in now. Bearing setup is complete (fingers crossed...), adapter is good to go, and all seals are replaced. 

DSC_0208.JPG

In the process of replacing my wiper motor, it became apparent that the source of a leak into the cabin was a missing seal. I found a PCV grommet at O'Reilly that fit (which was so tight that I had to press in) and I finished it off with some fresh butyl around the base. This was strangely gratifying to fix.

DSC_0212.JPG

NOS 240 turbo coolant bottle installed on a powdercoated bracket I had laying around

DSC_0213.JPG

Volvo 260 clutch master cylinder installed. I used a m12x1.0 banjo bolt and fitting that then connects to a 3an braided stainless line. I will end up routing this a bit more cleanly with a bent hardline.

DSC_0215.JPG

My brother came down and helped me get the engine side of the bulkhead wiring harness connector fully terminated. You can also see the feed on the fuel rail--this will allow me to use the same fuel line I had made for the b21f manifold. 

DSC_0216.JPG

And a nice sealed Bussmann fuse and relay box to keep things simple for the Megasquirt wiring.

DSC_0223.JPG

I'm behind "schedule" but I decided I would rather take a little more time and get the details just how I want them. 

Turbine housing and exhaust manifold are out for ceramic coating right now... pretty excited to get those back from Count Snapula :)

• 3 weeks later...

Intake manifold back from powdercoat

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

IAC bung and bracket for mounting the valve itself

DSC_0004.JPG

I had a ton of help from two friends that came in from Kansas City and LA last weekend to visit. We managed to get the charge pipes and water pipe finished up, the downpipe started, and bunch of other miscellaneous things done. Also had a transformer nearby grenade while we were under the car attempting to install the transmission. That was fun. 

Some miscellaneous pictures of the aftermath:

Hot-side charge pipe

DSC_0009.JPG

Turbo and exhaust manifold both ceramic coated and installed

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

Cold-side intercooler pipe with IAC and IAT bungs

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

Flywheel, m5 clutch, 707 pressure plate installed

DSC_0021.JPG

Lower heater hose installed. 960 heater hose cut in half connecting to factory fitting turned 90 degrees using a 3/8 NPT 90* elbow

DSC_0026.JPG

Current state: wires everywhere

DSC_0008.JPG

Today I'm working on getting the transmission in (I had to ditch the straight bulkhead fittings and replace them with 90 degree fittings to clear the tunnel) and then perhaps tonight I'll spend more time on the engine wiring harness. I've done a fair bit of work planning it out, but there's more I need to figure out and learn before I dive too deep into it. This part is not a strength of mine.

Overall, I'm really happy with how this is all coming together. I really can't wait to drive it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Snap has already beat me by a mile in the race to a running, driving car, but here's where this is at:

A couple pictures of things as I left them in the garage tonight. There's a bunch of other things going on (namely the engine wiring harness) but are the things you can actually tell what is going on. 

Most of the bits are on the intake now. You can also see the banjo bolt on the far end of the plenum... that's one the factory Volvo bolts that has a check valve built in for use with PCV. 

DSC_0060.JPG

I decided I wanted to try making vacuum lines out of 3/16" stainless tubing. 

DSC_0062.JPG

Serpentine belt and associated bits are installed.

DSC_0085.JPG

The oil cooler, thermostat, lines, and associated bracketry is all made/modified and installed now. I'm pretty happy with how this all worked out. Eat your heart out, Snap. 

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

• 1 month later...

I've been working on this a lot, except when it's over 90 degrees in the garage because forget that. Yesterday afternoon I got the car back down on the ground for the first time since February. I drove it 8 feet back and forward, and then decided that I needed to wash it. 

It's clean again, phew. 

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

For extra content to offset my lazy post, here are a couple other details:

Stainless hardlines that control the wastegate, and a bracket to secure them (the plastic bit will be replaced with something aluminum or stainless)

DSC_0203.JPG

Crankcase ventilation system is all plumbed as well (although I will be replacing these hoses with some Aeroquip hose when I get around to it). Two valve cover vents and the factory oil separator box outlet are plumbed into the ProVent, which returns to the intake pipe via a silicone hose underneath the front of the engine. The ProVent drains back into the oil pan through a fitting next to the dipstick. 

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

I bought a 28mm drop swaybar. This was necessary to clear my oil pan, and is the largest swaybar available for this car. 

DSC_0199.JPG

And here's the harness connector finished off with some raychem 4:1 shrink and a 90 degree shrink boot. 

DSC_0207.JPG

I've left out about 95% of things, so this seems like a good place to end this post. Next up is getting the car running well on megasquirt.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the guy did a really nice job on that one. Pretty impressive that it's road legal in California without any diesel registration trickery or anything like that.

image.png

Anyway, I still have this car. I popped the head gasket last fall, so in the process of replacing that, a bunch of things snowballed which currently leaves me sitting here with a refreshed head with a little porting, rebuilt turbo, fresh powder and ceramic coatings, a revised oil drain from the turbo to the factory block drain port, and a million other little adjustments (including another set of BBS RCs that are wider).

image.pngimage.png

I just started it back up on Sunday. It was excellent, but then had quite a bit of white smoke after a few minutes, then came misfires. Time to diagnose. There's a real temptation to part this out and buy a clownshoe. 🤡

It’s possible, but seems a bit odd. It’s a 2.3 bottom end that I put hbeam rods in and shimmed the liners. Between all of that, it really shouldn’t be anywhere near the threshold of cracking (unless it wasn’t in great shape before I got it). I’ll pull spark plugs and check for signs of coolant in the combustion chambers (especially #5 where the gasket failed).

Oh I would think that would be sturdy.  I thought you had the 2.5 block.  Do you have any codes for the misfires?  Do you have VIDA/DICE? I just got one, still struggling with software.  If it would help you could borrow it once I figure out my AWD issue.  I replaced the collar gear that was stripped on my vR and it worked for a little while but now it won't engage but no CEL or alarms on the dash.  Hopefully this will help me figure out what's up.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Full Banana said:

In a delightful twist of fate, this seems to be running pretty well. Boost control is working now so I can actually drive it normally without constantly feathering the pedal. 

70% chance I'll show up to the e30 picnic with this and park somewhere out of the way as to not offend.

its boxy. it has round headlights. if you average the #of cylinders for available e30 motors, you get 5. i think no one will notice.