WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Tossed a different set of wheels on the 240 today...

The Full Banana

Thanks, TJ! Before I put them on the car I thought I was going to hate the black centers, because usually I do... but now I'm not so sure. Can't hurt to try them silver, either.

I need to figure something out for the centercaps... that was the first thing mentioned when I posted on one of the volvo forums

also, a motor swap should be happening sometime yet this year. nothing fancy, just some blue collar turbo power for the big old volvo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

it's not a turbo diesel, but it is a turbo.

It started life as a 1984 245 turbo w/ intercooler (the whole intercooler thing was a big deal back then)

The old tired 2.1l low compression turbo motor has been pulled out and binned. I swapped in a newer Volvo turbo motor (its a 95 b230f+t, if you know anything about these cars) and it is running Bosch LH2.4 engine management.

Put simply, it has the latest and greatest Volvo 4cyl turbo motor with the best factory engine management. Right now I have it setup all stock so it's all super reliable, and it is a great base for modification. The rods are good for 280-300whp. Parts are pretty cheap for these (i.e.: chips that support up to 300whp are $100). It's getting more and more common for people to slap holsets

on these and make 300-350whp, but you have to know what you are doing if you want big power on a budget. 220whp you can do in your sleep, 250whp is pretty easy, and plenty of guys have gone beyond that. Of course all of these numbers I'm throwing out are specific to the rods that are in the block now, and the engine management that it is already running... If you toss in H-beam rods ($310) and go megasquirt (there are plug and play harnesses available) it's a whooooole different world.

I'm still finishing up a couple things, because I've really been taking my time on it, but the mechanical functionality of the car is great. The interior is in pretty good condition, but the driver seat foam isnt very supportive. Where the car needs help is the exterior.

brakes are new and are surprisingly very good for an old volvo. suspension is new (it's on lowering springs but they aren't very low or stiff. i would considering working out a deal including the front coilovers from my blue car)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will be getting more pictures as I clean it up more. This thing is pretty unique, especially with the front end that is on it... it's quite uncommon to see it unless you are in the volvo community.

Like I said, I'm really looking more for trades (something a little more comfortable and modern to drive around everyday while I tear into the swapping the other car) but I won't turn down cash if the offer is right.

Edited by The Full Banana

okay, i'll dump a few more in of the interior and engine bay. they aren't much, but they're something. i'm hesitant to post much of the exterior just because it looks so jank right now (trim is off the car, and gross steelies are on in the pictures). I just got tires mounted on the original turbo wheels, but they need to be painted.

Do you have a 240 for sale?

My brother LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSS volvo.

and he owns a 1982 240. but he has the first 6 month model with some chrysler box in it? I forgot exactly what. And the part went. And he has called all over. Texas, wisconsin, online stores. The part is expensive and his volvo is in real bad shape. I know he would love another one.

Do you have a 240 for sale?

My brother LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSS volvo.

and he owns a 1982 240. but he has the first 6 month model with some chrysler box in it? I forgot exactly what. And the part went. And he has called all over. Texas, wisconsin, online stores. The part is expensive and his volvo is in real bad shape. I know he would love another one.

Yes, the white car pictured above is for sale.

Chrysler ignition is what they used for 5 or so years on the non turbo cars.... and it sucks. My other 240 has it right now, but I'll be throwing that out when I swap that car.