WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW diesel and or AWD?

Ryan...

Hello frens...

I'm looking for a do-everything kinda vehicle to replace my Land Rover LR4. With my commute going up to 45 minutes each way, 6 days in a row, that 13-15 mpg is starting to hurt. In 1.5 months I need to fit a baby seat in back as well.

I'm considering a couple different vehicles that I want to keep in the $7-12k range. Mainly I'd be looking at either an X5, preferably in a diesel for maximum MPGs, or something like a 328xi.

It's been a heckin minute since I owned a BMW or paid much attention to them, but in that time I've owned nothing but unreliable British or German cars, so I'm not completely out of touch.

Would love to hear some opinions on the reliability and usability of the aforementioned vehicles. I keep looking at diesel VWs too, but I yearn to return to the BMW family in some capacity.

He hath returnith! 

E70 35d’s are still in a good sweet spot. Still a very modern car and I don’t see much benefits/differences with the F15 gen after that especially since they sell for twice as much.  

Price wise They were on the rise a little after I bought mine but the cost of diesel understandably has motioned some people to sell them off. Just looking on auto tempest there are quick a few close by right now but plenty nationwide to find the right spec.

$12k is gonna limit you to higher mileage ones though regardless. Some people said the more miles the better in some threads I read but I personally didn’t care about mileage vs overall condition. 

I used the guide below for what packages I ideally wanted and ended up getting. 

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/2013-x5-ordering-guide.604778/#post-6671891

We’re super happy with the e70 35d we got, just a few nit picky things I posted in my thread but I got one that was very well taken care of. Check engine light has flashed a few times but I bought it knowing it was an emissions time bomb at 130k+.

@ Applesauce, I ain't tellin you shiiiii

@YoungCR thanks for the helpful advice, unlike the OTHER guy... Higher mileage doesn't scare me too much if it looks and drives like they took care of it. 

I really don't want to get rid of the LR4, but the dang thing is just too bad on fuel to justify keeping it when I have too many other expensive hobbies 😕

21 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Forgot to mention this group as well. Not sure if you were considering a 335d but this is close to your price range. 

https://facebook.com/groups/NABDOG/permalink/3210288232542363/

Link dead unfortunately, I'll probably be needing either an SUV or a wagon at the very least. Gotta be able to fit a baby seat and the big bear cub dog we own..

On 4/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, Ryan... said:

Link dead unfortunately, I'll probably be needing either an SUV or a wagon at the very least. Gotta be able to fit a baby seat and the big bear cub dog we own..

One of the guys I work with is selling an e70 35d.  I know the injectors were replaced recently but other than that I couldn't tell you the condition or how much but I'll ask him for an ad.