WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 HID Projector Retrofit Kits

gilber33

Hey guys. I've been working pretty hard on these and have a variety of options now: 

Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 DIY Projector Retrofit Kit for $495-530 shipped. 

Acme Standard DIY Projector Retrofit Kit for $295 shipped.

Depo Smilie plug and play headlights with the projectors already installed and all required HID hardware included: 

Morimoto: 

• $775 shipped for clears
  • $795 shipped for smoked

Acme: 

• $535 for clears
  • $565 for smoked

D15F5B75-8723-4173-8A9F-087407BA4BA2.jpg

CABB80AF-A8EC-410C-B4C7-2977C023F1C2.jpg

884B397C-2A57-454B-AC9E-A0C5ED37806C.jpg

318C7E67-3F38-4B54-AF48-665725BD2844.jpg

28DBDC71-9CD0-412D-884F-0E80EB229790.jpg

5033E6A3-3B14-4079-9C2E-2DB325790753.jpg

36181A15-973A-4385-80A2-92B5616ABDC2.jpg

F64DDD5B-59DD-417C-BEEF-248E8E7309E0.jpg

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

Looks like a really nice solution!! Fully sealed up when it's installed? 

Yup. The lip has a foam seal in it similar to the OEM bucket. And then the Ellipsoid adapters uses a second screw that goes in the top of the factory housing and that screw has an o-ring on it to seal it. the only sealant you should have to use it a small bead around the bi-xenon connector where it passes through the backside of the Morimoto housing.

7 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

very awesome! there have been multiple attempts at prototypes for these but i've never seen any sold on the market. 

Well, thank you. I know Squared Motorwerks used to offer a similar thing, but from what I can see he's no longer doing it and has been MIA for a few years. 

It was interesting diving deeper than I thought I would have into how to improve the headlights and not really finding any great solutions out there. Lots of posts where one person says "this bulb changed my life!" and the next says it's garbage. 

40 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

I don’t know anything about headlights but I know I can’t see shit at night. 

really cool stuff man

Ha! 

This all started when I drove through the night back from Utah. And all I could think about was that if there’s a deer 50’ in front of me I’m not going to see it. 

the real bees knees would be an entire 3D printed headlight housing that could hold one of the larger, better bixenon projectors.  remove the glass and inner shroud from your original headlight, attached it to the 3D printed housing, and mount it into the headlight frames. as you found, the housing is too small to hold anything larger than the H1 mini projectors, which are an upgrade from stock lights, but far from the best performance bixenon. 

6 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

the real bees knees would be an entire 3D printed headlight housing that could hold one of the larger, better bixenon projectors.  remove the glass and inner shroud from your original headlight, attached it to the 3D printed housing, and mount it into the headlight frames. as you found, the housing is too small to hold anything larger than the H1 mini projectors, which are an upgrade from stock lights, but far from the best performance bixenon. 

That’s a super interesting concept. It would be an intense project. 

I’ve had some people ask about the led bi xenon projectors and I have to explain that I don’t think people understand how small these buckets are.

And then there’s the Bosch smileys. I printed the first one to test fit last night but that bucket is tiny. 

• gilber33 changed the title to E30 HID Projector Retrofit Kits