WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The Gang Buys a E70 xDrive35d

YoungCR

On 5/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, Jdesign said:

I have to use one of those extractors to change the oil on my boat and I hate it. LOL 

In other news, I still want a diesel X5. 

Thread jack, but if you want the pro strat for boat oil changes, the next time you do it buy or make a drain hose kit. My parents inboard came with this setup from the factory and it’s slick as shit, and so easy. Just snake the tube out of the boat drain plug, put a drain pan underneath, and pop the cap off. Easiest oil change I’ve ever done. 

Example of a kit: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra-18-7891-oil-drain-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9PmkLjb9wIVBezjBx3cYQ45EAQYAiABEgKgXfD_BwE

On 5/12/2022 at 9:36 PM, P_Roloff said:

Thread jack, but if you want the pro strat for boat oil changes, the next time you do it buy or make a drain hose kit. My parents inboard came with this setup from the factory and it’s slick as shit, and so easy. Just snake the tube out of the boat drain plug, put a drain pan underneath, and pop the cap off. Easiest oil change I’ve ever done. 

Example of a kit: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra-18-7891-oil-drain-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9PmkLjb9wIVBezjBx3cYQ45EAQYAiABEgKgXfD_BwE

I have one of those. My big gripe is that it takes a good 20-25mins to suck all the oil out and you have to continuously pump it to keep it pressurized even if there are no air leaks.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, timmer said:

I use hot shots diesel extreme additive regularly.  Supposed to keep the injectors happy, and it boosts cetane levels.  I can definitely hear a difference at idle when it's in the tank, it's much quieter. 

Others have had luck freeing up a stuck injector with a strong dose of this stuff also.   

Other than that, it's just regular maintenance with liquid moly products in the old girl! 

I do 30k mile transmission fluid changes just because of the added power of the engine and trans tune with the higher fluid pressures.  I only put about between 8-10k miles a year so it's no big deal. 

I want this thing to last, they're getting hard to find!!

Personally I've always used Power Service in the burb and semi's because they have winter and summer versions. Additives work though, I've seen .5-1mpg decreases when I don't add it in, which is huge something that gets 7.5mpg on average lol. Anytime you're doing fuel filters too just use diesel additive instead of straight fuel, it'll prime the system much quicker. 

I don't plan on regularly towing with this so gonna stick to the 50k fluid changes. Did you do the Solenoids? Guessing I should order those too given the higher miles and assuming original lifetime fluid. I have the full service kit already from FCP and was gonna buy this aluminum bridge seal somebody on the FB group recommended. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273799403855

On 5/14/2022 at 1:21 AM, Jdesign said:

I have one of those. My big gripe is that it takes a good 20-25mins to suck all the oil out and you have to continuously pump it to keep it pressurized even if there are no air leaks.

Yeah it is annoying but I've spilt enough oil in the driveways and shop floors that this is still preferred. Don't you have an air compressor at the shop? Upgrading to a full pneumatic when I have shop air again is my plan.

• 7 months later...

151625 mi already. I'm not happy about it but it is what it is. Need some other road trip vehicles back in rotation...

Finally got a scan tool, intermittent check engine light is back on for emissions, found a few other things I luckily bought parts for already.

00452A DTC Description Digital Diesel Electronics (DDE), information - particulate filter system. Time to do the permanent fix.

0054C6 VTG (Transfer Box), Oil wear. Drive line fluids still need to be changed and apparently there's a sensor for the transfer case fluid. 

004BDC DTC Description Digital Diesel Electronics (DDE), fuel presupply pressure control Fault Description Monitoring of fuel pre-supply pressure control: Power consumption of electric fuel pump too large for current pre-supply pressure. Fuel filter needs to be changed and perform liquid moly fuel system clean. 

Cleared all the codes as some were quite old but also had faults in the following modules, will compare tomorrow with details after about a 2.5hr round trip. 

12TRSVC (All Round View Camera) Fault | 1

14CA (Comfort Access System) Fault | 1

15CBX-MEDIA (ComBox Multimedia) Fault | 2

17SINE (Siren And Tilt Sensor) Fault | 1

20TCB (Combox Emergency Call) Fault | 1

29FRM2 (Footwell Module 2) Fault | 1

Used the pocket book wrench today to tick off those immediate concerns. Was happy with the service today from VL Performance here in Appleton. 

12/30/2022 151,852mi

• VL Performance Performed:
    • Liquid Moly Leichtlauf high tech 5w-40 x6l & STP Oil Filter P983
    • Transfer Case flush with fluid and drain plugs provided from FCP kit
    • Replaced fuel filter with provided Mahle filter
  • VL Performance Recommends:
    • Air Filter
    • Brake Fluid Flush
    • Transmission Pan Gasket

• 1 month later...

Bought a Otofix BT1-Lite, same as a Autel MaxiBAS BT506 for 1/2 the price, to help with some charging system issues on other vehicles but I tested everything in the driveway for fun. Failed the first test but I didn't know the rating on the battery and the terminals in the engine bay could use a cleaning. Pulled the trunk cover to find a OEM battery and tested again from there directly. I don't have any records of it being replaced. Its state of charge is still 100% if it is a 570 cca like I think it should be so thats cool but certainly will keep a close eye on its heath. Starter & Alternator passed 

20230210X5BatteryTest.pdf

• 1 month later...

Crawled under the X5 for the first time to get the the main parts list off the transmission. Also installed the K&N VF3019 cabin air filters. 

IMG_6579.jpegIMG_6580.jpeg

Below is a cross reference for the Tune My Euro E70 100k restoration/maintenance list to FCP OE or OEM parts for better prices/warranty. Certainly needed at 150k now and many are while you're in there with the intake manifold off and added power from the tune. 

Fun stuff!!! I also accumulated some parts this winter for a maintenance rally this spring! Lol. 

Most notably is the glow plug module that failed on me about a month ago... Makes for a smoky/sweet sounding cold start!

The Malone 2.5 is a safe and fun tune, I've been running for 4 years now without a hiccup.

Consider a trans tune from https://sutphintuning.com/ also!  It made a huge difference and Rod will customize it for your needs. He also has all the parts for the 6hp.  He's is a genius with these transmissions, he's even fitted an 8 speed in his E90.

21 hours ago, timmer said:

Fun stuff!!! I also accumulated some parts this winter for a maintenance rally this spring! Lol. 

Most notably is the glow plug module that failed on me about a month ago... Makes for a smoky/sweet sounding cold start!

The Malone 2.5 is a safe and fun tune, I've been running for 4 years now without a hiccup.

Consider a trans tune from https://sutphintuning.com/ also!  It made a huge difference and Rod will customize it for your needs. He also has all the parts for the 6hp.  He's is a genius with these transmissions, he's even fitted an 8 speed in his E90.

Having records of glow plug issues but no records of replacement I figured might as well get her done while the intake is off. I'm more or less just going with what you've done given how much you've enjoyed it without issues. I contemplated other down pipe and exhausts but seems like the consensus on the Facebook group its the Buzzken fits the best as well. I'll be doing the install myself so just want things to be straight forward given all these parts going on. Trans tune is on the future list, suspension refresh comes first. I ordered new struts as well as they've failed and will tackle the rest of the suspension next fall after the tires are shot and ready for replacement. 

I just did lower front control arms and thrust arms and it made a huge difference. I didn't realize how bad they were, they still felt tight.

I also changed out the upper/lower strut bushings as they were gone.  No more clunks!

Just a heads up, I went with Lemforder control arms and I got a bad one that had a leaky bushing... Apparently there was a bad batch made last year.  FCP Euro was awesome and made it right, and shipped a new one next day air. 

I did the delete on mine recently and am very pleased with how it turned out. 
I would like to note that I would rather do rod bearings on the M3 again before doing another X5d delete... It was a lot of patience and odd body positioning. 

I went with the VSRF down / midpipe and the fit-up was pretty decent. I saw you had the buzzken one in there which is over twice the cost. 

On 3/24/2023 at 12:09 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

I did the delete on mine recently and am very pleased with how it turned out. 
I would like to note that I would rather do rod bearings on the M3 again before doing another X5d delete... It was a lot of patience and odd body positioning. 

I went with the VSRF down / midpipe and the fit-up was pretty decent. I saw you had the buzzken one in there which is over twice the cost. 

Did you get the cat? What else did you need for install? I'd assume I'd just need these EGR block off's additionally. Forgot the VRSF has a resonator as well which I'd like, are you happy with the sound? 

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/bmw-x5-e70-low-pressure-egr-block-off-plate/

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/bmw-e70-x5-lp-egr-coolant-block-off-kit/

13 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Did you get the cat? What else did you need for install? I'd assume I'd just need these EGR block off's additionally. Forgot the VRSF has a resonator as well which I'd like, are you happy with the sound? 

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/bmw-x5-e70-low-pressure-egr-block-off-plate/

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/bmw-e70-x5-lp-egr-coolant-block-off-kit/

I did not get the cat, but doing it again I may. It's not bad but I like cruising with the windows open and spend time crawling around so I feel the smell may become a tad much. I may end up trying to get a catted one.
Sound is pleasant, lots of turbo noise and a tiny bit of engine with the windows open. With windows closed I can't tell a difference from stock which is nice.

I did the EGR racepipe at the same time (Bimmertune) and that came with the coolant blockoffs for that, and picked up the plate you linked above from a different source. 

The turbo noises and power gains are very fun.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:34 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

Sound is pleasant, lots of turbo noise and a tiny bit of engine with the windows open. With windows closed I can't tell a difference from stock which is nice.

I did the EGR racepipe at the same time (Bimmertune) and that came with the coolant blockoffs for that, and picked up the plate you linked above from a different source. 

Perfect, looking to be incognito unless putting the hammer down. I reviewed all the exhaust options again and the Buzzken and VRSF are the only two systems that have Cats mounted on the down pipe. Consensus being that the cat will always be hot in that location where the DPF used to be. I've breathed enough nasty zero emissions diesel fumes in my life already and would like to be able to load groceries with the car running haha. 

Seems like all the complaints on the VRSF fitment were from earlier versions so given that its more or less the same system plus a resonator made with 304ss over 419ss its better for $1k less. ECS/Turner has it on sale right now too so shopping list updated accordingly. Forgot to list the EGR race pipe as well. 

• 2 months later...

157045 Miles Checked a few things off the punch list. Changed the oil with the handy screw in oil funnel kit when it was on sale. Also installed a mishimoto magnetic drain plug. https://www.harborfreight.com/master-oil-funnel-filling-kit-56892.html

IMG_6715.jpeg

Attempted to start the front shocks, ball joint bolt had different plans. Very seized and had to cut/punch out. Replaced with a 10.9 bolt and haven't gone back to that project yet. 

IMG_6718.jpeg

Discovered during the rear shocks replacement that the drivers rear spring had broke and wrapped itself around under the mount. Didn't notice any noise or handling issues so this was quite the surprise but apparently a common issue by 150k. 

IMG_6717.jpeg

OEM spring compressor is short but extremely expensive. Not enough room to use standard ones so just ended up using a small bottle jack and got plenty of room to pull them out. Make sure the brake line is removed from the shock mount location. 

IMG_0059.jpeg

Replaced both sides with LESJÖFORS 4208476 from Rock Auto as they were $20 cheaper each than FCP and didn't care about warranty. Top is the unbroken stock, LESJÖFOR below. Little thicker than the OEM. Replaced rear upper and lower spring pads as well. 

IMG_0060.jpeg

Finally pony up'd the $25 for the Motive bleeder bottles and was happy to toss away my gheto gatorade setup. The seal on my Motive 1100 power bleeder cap had swollen as well, FCP and Amazon don't offer the replacement. I ended up trimming a 3/8 x 2 1/4 with 1/8 center rubber washer from Menards down to 1 3/4 diameter tracing a hole saw bit. Brakes bleed with Pentosin DOT4-LV

IMG_6784.jpeg

Got all the other parts on hand, just need to purchase the tune yet and then I can dig into the major refresh items.

4 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

How has the power bleeder been to use? Been considering grabbing one.

it’s handy, my only complaint is the cap. Not having a rotating hose means it gets twisted from one end as you screw onto the reservoir. That cap can be bought for $50 itself from motive too so you don’t save any getting this vs the base kit from FCP. This wasn’t available when I bought mine. 

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/european-power-bleeder-black-label-motive-products-mot0109

5 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

How has the power bleeder been to use? Been considering grabbing one.

I've been happy with mine (European "Black Label" with aluminum swivel cap), I just use it as a pressure bleeder rather than putting fluid in it. Agreed that it's handy to have especially if you don't have an available "helper". I picked mine up on sale a while back for much less than the FCP listing. Just checked and ECS has the same for $90. 

• 1 month later...

Did the full transmission service a few weekends ago now and got about 2500 trouble free miles on it since. I haven't floored it yet but very happy with the improvement on the 2-3 shift. Overall the job looks more intimidating than it was but it certainly was a full weekend project. This is pretty well covered in these videos but I'll share my tips. 

I did end up pulling the transfer case cross member. People buy or fabricate a shallow Torx wrench to get at the rear pan bolts blocked by the cross member that takes 10min to remove. I unbolted the exhaust as well to get additional clearance for the passenger side center bolt, no issues with that leaking afterwards and my flange nuts were in good shape. 

IMG_0063.jpeg

6HP26/28 how to video. I followed this along with the TIS instructions. I would highly recommend marking the mechatronic sealing sleeve with a paint pen as I had a hell of a time getting that lined back up properly and that would've saved me the headache like the TIS suggests. 

This is a E53 mechatronic rebuild but similar enough procedure with good assembly tips. 

Mechatronic unit after removal and splitting. Split the plate this side up so the accumulator pistons and check valves don't fall out, those are reused along with the filter. 

IMG_6811.jpeg

I let the transmission drain overnight too with the mechatronic unit out and I ended up needing the full 9.5l capacity, luckily NAPA does stock the Liquid Moly Top Tec 1800 so I was able to get what I needed to finish the job. 

IMG_6812.jpeg

Just to reiterate, my E-Shift 6HP28X with with main parts list 1068-050-045 did indeed use the ZF 1068298047 mechatronic service kit as confirmed by California Transmission Supply and Automatic Choice. I even wrote to FCP Euro Support asking them about their product listing comparing to these sources and wrote back to me after a month stating that their BMW Catalog team confirmed this was not for my vehicle and to check with my local BMW Service Center. The dealers only sell the complete mechatronic unit so guessing thats why this "doesn't match my vin". Again not sure why FCP and ECS don't have as complete main parts list compatibility as those transmission sites do but I would reference those. I didn't have any luck getting into ZF's official catalog. 

Also if you are going to do the Sonnax Zip-Kit, remember that the valve body separator plate needs to be replaced as well which in my case was the A065 plate also available through Sonnax. I just ended up doing all the end plugs, pressure regulator sleeves and Clutch A & E control boost valves since I had this out and given the mileage instead of diagnosing what it might just need. Only issue I did have was having to redo 1 or 2 o-rings during assembly as they got cut on the valve bores that were still tight tolerances. Just takes time and make sure everything is well lubricated. Again it's just a tedious job but glad I did it and saved a bunch of $$$. 

On 7/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, SteelBlue said:

M539 Restorations also did this on his E70 and it made a big difference. 

Haven’t come across this channel, looks like great content!

3 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I greatly appreciate your posts in here so I can follow your advice later!
My 2-3 shifts are quite hard especially cold, and know the trans is in need of some love. 

Keep crushing it! 

Thanks! Eager to get all the boxes of parts out of my living room but it’s too damn hot to wrench for 2-3 days straight. Hopefully end of next month I can tackle the rest of the jobs.