WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The Gang Buys a E70 xDrive35d

YoungCR

The time has come to replace my wife's W body Impala and we both wanted a SUV as a replacement. I kept in mind that I wanted to go used BMW over newer economy because while I find the interiors nice in newer economy cars the road noise still speaks to the quality underneath.  It's the curse of growing up with these fine used automobiles knowing how things could be. The goals for this vehicle were really for long trips on vacations or at least day trips. After being impressed with that F10's condition I rented off Turo and @timmer's diesel thread, a E70 35d was the only vehicle we considered looking at. The desire also formed long ago when I worked at the dealership too, I loved driving the E90 and E70 diesels when they were new. They were my go-to errand runners when I had the choice. Father @andyhundley also told me they regularly service 10 of these at his job with no major issues after the EGR is "fixed".

I know its a pretty crazy car market right now but I don't feel like the prices on these have inflated much if any. The v8 X5's are the bottom because of their reliability and the diesels are just above that because its different. I saw many 80-120k examples for $12-15k on the market. CoPart auctions were often going for $8-10k as well for clean titled vehicles. Cinnamon Brown Nevada Leather interior was a must for me so that narrowed my search by quite a bit though. I initially looked in November and prices were a little lower on average then but I didn't see any winners at the time. Around the holidays this popped up in New Jersey though and after a week of contemplation I finally made the call. 

Being a 1 owner, clean carfax with recent service and being at a Euro specific car dealership really sweetened the deal. I'm really glad I looked back on @suspenceful's E70 thread as well because he mentioned using Lemon Squad for a PPI. Jeff at Torch Light Motors was happy to have them come out and inspect the vehicle and I was impressed with their report. I've attached it for those interested, really detailed and 94 pictures all around and under along with 3 short videos. 

Timing worked out pretty perfectly too as @BMWben is currently stationed out in Newport, RI for training before he moves to Japan. Along with a few other things out east I wanted to do, I figured why rent when I can buy? That and along with the Impala giving my wife some more trouble we decide to pull the trigger. Im flying out to Newark, NJ on the 28th and I'll spend a week out east and drive home on the 6th after a weekend of skiing in upstate New York at Whiteface. 

2013 BMW X5 xDrive35D
Deep Sea Blue Metalic
Cinnamon Brown Nevada Leather
Convenience Package (ZCV) - Comfort Access was a must for me
Cold Weather Package (ZCW) - Same with heated seats, heated rears was a bonus. 
Premium Package (ZPP) - All included in ZCV - The Rear view camera with top view I always loved using. 
Option 300 Space Saver Spare, not originally equipped but it has it! Thrilled this doesn't have run flats anymore. 
New Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires

inspection_image_3.jpeginspection_image_4.jpeginspection_image_10.jpeginspection_image_12.jpeginspection_image_21.jpeginspection_image_37.jpeg

LemonSquad460341.pdf

14 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Hell yes! I have been eyeing one of these up myself. Congrats and I love the color combo!

I forgot to mention there wasn’t any 35i or 35d E70’s for sale in the entire state this month, at least via AutoTempest search until a week ago a X5 35d popped up as a trade in Sheboygan. It’s a no option corporate lease though with an accident. There’s quite a few around chicago but most of them seemed to be along either coast or down south at least for diesels specifically.

Perfect color combo!  I absolutely love it… welcome to the club! 

Be sure to check out the North America BMW Diesel Owners Group on Facebook.  You’ll find everything you need to know here :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NABDOG/?ref=share

Look up Bradley Tourt while your there for all your needs, he is an amazing wealth of knowledge with these engines. He’s done some pretty amazing swaps, including putting an M57 in a 135i.😳

Can’t wait to see it!!!

7 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I am seriously impressed with the inspection report.  That's so cool and I can only see that business continuing to grow as buying site unseen becomes more popular.

I was too! I forgot to mention that I scheduled this on a Thursday morning and they didn’t get the inspection done until Monday and then it was Tuesday afternoon when I got the published report. They advertise as trying to do inspections next day and given it was the NYC I’m sure they are busy all the time but the reports don’t get processed until the start of the next business day after the inspection is done.

I'm also not clear on if a ASE tech actually looks at the car or just reviews the report but still very happy with the service. Photos like that were worth the price and peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

I was too! I forgot to mention that I scheduled this on a Thursday morning and they didn’t get the inspection done until Monday and then it was Tuesday afternoon when I got the published report. They advertise as trying to do inspections next day and given it was the NYC I’m sure they are busy all the time but the reports don’t get processed until the start of the next business day after the inspection is done.

I'm also not clear on if a ASE tech actually looks at the car or just reviews the report but still very happy with the service. Photos like that were worth the price and peace of mind. 

How much was the service?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, busy weekend/week!

2ED2B547-08DF-474D-8A0B-38C11531126F.jpeg

I was pretty fortunate my travel plans didn't get affected by the storms, got into Newark about 20mins late on friday afternoon. Ironically my Lyft was a E53 X5 and holy hell was it a hooptie. Made it to the dealership though and literally just grabbed the keys and went after adding the temp plate on my iPass account. Motor fired right up, added my phone into the bluetooth connections and I was on my way. I of course wasnt too shy on the first on ramp.

632F9C64-5613-4AD5-9589-B6F1B62F90DF.jpeg

I was heading to the Hartford, CT area for the weekend and decided to take the scenic route. I had seen a recommendation for Bear Mountain state park which wasn't too far out of the way and kept me off the George Washington bridge as well. The park was beautiful in winter, would love to come back in summer. This area is equivalent to Devil's Lake for us, a older resort from the early 20th century turned into a park. There is even a public pool nestled into the cliff which is pretty neat. I wanted to see the bridge and rail lines as well. Hiked down the *closed* path to the boat dock to get this view of the bridge. It was a little icy but worth it. Overall did about a 2mi hike which was a nice break after flying and driving. 

70DB7D24-80FB-47BD-97BB-ABC46FDECFC5.jpeg

837A25D1-8D7C-4194-BE0F-8E2A1EFB3020.jpeg

Made it up to Hartford friday night without seeing any snow on the road which was good, but next day was a different story. Its snowed all day but luckily I was just at an expo. No complaints about driving this in 4in+ of snow though even with all seasons. Winter storm Keenan ended up dumping 9”+ that day.

6EF1EB16-93D4-484D-A02A-6DDEF9613840.jpeg

Made it over to Newport, RI Sunday night. Had to stay at The Wayfinder while Ben's wife was still in town and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to visit the area. The rooms were incredibly nice and the most friendly staff I've encountered at a hotel.

4576B1BD-AFCC-41AC-AB9A-0513779E9F92.jpeg

First task Monday was to address the hood latch, at some point between the inspection and me picking it up the cable decided to not work anymore. Of course HF doesn't sell any cheap radiator picks so I got the ICON set and was able to push the drivers side latch hook and get in. The iDrive system said the oil was over capacity so I verified it WITH A DIPSTICK! I had seen mentions of the dipstick on the FB group but its not listed anywhere in the owners manual. I had to actually check the parts diagrams to find it hidden under the intake. Turns out the car lot just overfilled it ever so slightly so its good to know that level sensor is still in calibration and I'm ecstatic to have a dipstick. If I knew these had one back in the day I had certainly forgotten. 

1717A467-246F-4E2C-9407-64C5B41F221A.jpeg

0A3DCD56-05C1-4413-A3C4-3497143FEA81.jpeg

After that it was back to vacation time. After Ben got off work we headed to the Newport Car Musuem. Very nice collection of ~100 cars including all the recent mercedes and lambo's, a Z8, all generations of corvettes, all the Porsche speedsters except the original 356 and probably the best group of Shelby package mustangs I've seen in one place. 

2A7D58DC-D145-45AD-861B-67E5045FD01A.jpeg

Tuesday was a meh day but I got my exercise in at least. Stopped by the BMW dealership in Newport as this was the last place the X5 was serviced on the carfax before trade in which was convenient for me. I had to twist the service advisors arm to get ONE service record. The first advisor scoffed at me saying "they couldn't do that for me since it would be a HIPPA violation". What the hell does that have to do with anything at a car dealership? After dickbag passed me off to the guy next to him he was a little more accommodating after I told him the main dealership this X5 was serviced at told me it was no issue to get all the previous service records from them after showing proof of ownership. I didn't want the customers info either which was the concern apparently but after 20 min he finally got it printed and redacted their info. I'll start another post with the records once I get the other ones but yikes. It just sucks my first dealer experience sitting on that side of the desk went that way. I begrudgingly bought a keychain and some rear license plate screws.

I was told there was free public parking at Easton's beach so I posted up there for the day. Even in winter the beach was still a relaxing sight.

B01BB4C7-8A36-4975-9C81-19D7BDFCE3F6.jpeg

I walked downtown Newport to visit the Audrain Automotive Museum. I was a little bummed by the size of whats actually on display, although they were all very interesting and high quality cars. I'd literally seen 5/10 of them the previous day at the other museum and saw 10x the amount of cars for the same $18 admission price. The Audrain functions more like an art gallery which rotates its exhibit every 3 months, so if planning a visit I would check to see what would be on display first. If I were to make a trip out here again I think it would be far more worth while for car specific activities to visit during their concours week. Complaints aside seeing a 1800 mi 904 Carrera acquired from the original owner with the original purchase documents was extremely cool. 

EE0A696C-3609-4C00-8864-A86C851105FB.jpeg

From there I walked down Bellevue Ave to the coast past all the old mansions. Unfortunately most were closed for renovations so I continued on to the end of the Cliff walk. This was pretty treacherous in the snow but I was determined and it was worth it for the views of the houses and the ocean itself. Basically its a 2.5mi public access trail connecting two beaches along private land. I did stop to tour the Breakers though which was the Vanderbilt family summer home. My self guided tour would have been more informative if the ticket lady had told me about the accompanying app for audio tours. Still an incredible place to vist even seeing very little of the 140k sq/ft. The truly unlimited wealth is clearly put on display for a home they spent 6-8 weeks a year in :huh: Side note though, I highly recommend the James J Hill House in Minneapolis, MN. The MN Historical society does a fantastic job touring that 40k+ sq/ft mansion with very detailed explanations of what daily life was like in that house, hence my disappointment with the Breakers. Hopefully the tours will improve more once some of the covid restrictions are laid off.

DF1DEE5D-8C40-44B6-B4A9-70FA842520DA.jpeg

EF72A32D-AE1C-4E12-94D3-7966135A0B9B.jpeg

06C24C83-3F21-4318-938D-6F50952C0102.jpeg

Made the walk about to my starting point totaling 18k+ steps in, great for a warmer winter day on the coast :) Im in town for the rest of today and then head out for Lake Placid tomorrow. Got right around 400 miles driven so far with no major complaints.

Last from the trip home, I've been recovering lol. I noticed this lighthouse on Google Maps and wanted to visit. Turns out its on private property but the valet at the Castle Hill Inn was happy to instruct us on how to get there and if we didn't have prior dinner arrangements we would've loved to have eaten there. Its just a short hike from their parking lot.

IMG_5668.jpeg

Thursday I made the trek from Newport to Lake Placid once again racing against a snow storm. Interstate was just starting to get bad, The wrangler unlimited I drove up with was loosing traction in 2wd. He switched over to 4wd as we got off and then it was all mountain roads for 45min after that which this handled flawlessly. This was when we got to the house we stayed at. Friday morning there ended up being a 3ft + pile of snow at the end of the driveway from the plows. 

IMG_5671.jpeg

I couldn't have picked a better day to get back into skiing though. It was around 7* windchill when we got to Whiteface at 8am but the runs were all covered in 5"+ of fresh powder. It was an incredible day. Went to the summit twice in the afternoon. The building on the left is the where the lift ends up and the start of the Men's Olympic Runs. I did end up going down Skyward at the end of the day and it was awesome except for that near vertical drop in. The rest of the run was actually easier because more trafficked runs had iced over at that point vs still being more powder. 

IMG_5673.jpeg

Saturday was more brutal at -18* windchill when we got there but still a blast. Everything was groomed overnight so better overall conditions for me still looking to gain my skills back. Same photo at the summit just before we dropped in Skyward on a way colder but clearer day. It was a lot more challenging to go down even first thing in the morning because of the ice build up hence "ice face" as the resorts nickname.

IMG_5674.jpeg

Managed to keep warm and didn't get my lips stuck to a beer can so win win 😂 I gained a lot of confidence and we ran another full day. This is looking up at the summit late afternoon. Skyward is the the run on the right of those 3. 

IMG_5680.jpeg

The worst thing I could've done for recovery though was spend 19 hours in a car but I did so in relatively good comfort. My hamstrings didn't want to stretch out for one of the rest breaks. It's also been a long time since I drove with good modern headlights, which were great to have driving through the woods in the dark for the first 3hrs of the trip. I ended up getting 26.45 and 26.59mpg on the 2 full tanks that I used coming back and that's with a good headwind too so I'm happy to have that as a starting base.

Made it home around 9:30pm Sunday night, threw the awaiting Weathertech seat cover and floor mats in and had the wife and dog out for a short drive. She's very happy with the purchase and figured out the controls quickly too. It was bittersweet too as our dog Maggie has been having kidney issues since before Christmas so I was so glad she was still around when I got home and she's very much been enjoying her favorite activity of going on car rides. 

IMG_5689.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Service Record Log

• 3/23/2015 31,417mi
    • COMPLIMENTARY 27 POINT SAFETY CHECK
    • COMPLAINT : CUSTOMER STATES DIESEL FLUID TOP OFF.
      • CORRECTION : DONE EVERY OIL CHANGE.
    • COMPLETED BMW ENGINE OIL AND FILTER CHANGE. PERFORM STANDARD SCOPE SERVICE.
    • PERFORM BRAKE FLUID FLUSH.
    • COMPLAINT: CBS DATA SHOWS VEHICLE DUE FOR MICROFILTER REPLACEMENT. REPLACED MICROFILTER(S).
    • CBS DATA SHOWS ENGINE AIR FILTER SERVICE DUE. REPLACED ENGINE AIR FILTER
    • RECOMENDING
      • REPLACING L/F TIRE EXCESSIVE WEAR ON OUTSIDE EDGE
      • 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT. TIRE ROTATION AND BALANCE
  • 7/13/2015 36,539mi
    • PASSED PA STATE INSPECTION
    • REPLACED DAMAGED RUNFLAT TIRE D/S REAR
    • RECALL COMPLETE & REPLACE LAMBDA PROBE/OXYGEN SENSOR
  • 1/5/2016 41,181mi
    • REPLACED WORN FRONT TIRES. INSPECT TIRES, ADJUST PRESSURES AND RESET THE MONITOR SYSTEM
    • PERFORM OIL SERVICE WITH SYNTHETIC OIL AND NEW FILTER.
    • PERFORM VISUAL INSPECTION OF BRAKES AND CHECK AND TOP OFF ALL FLUIDS.
    • REPLACE FRONT AND REAR BRAKES COMPLETE
    • CONN BATT CHGR/PERF DIS TEST, FOUND SCR TANK FC'S, FOLLOW TEST PLAN, FOUND SCR TANK FAULTY. REPLACE SCR TANK.
  • 6/2/2016 49,142mi
    • CUSTOMER STATES WHEN THE A/C IS ON THE FRONT SEATS GET EXTREMELY HOT ON THE SIDES. CHECK AND ADVISE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN
    • RECALL COMPLETE, REPLACE AIR MASS METER
    • PERFORM OIL SERVICE WITH SYNTHETIC OIL AND NEW FILTER.
    • PERFORM VISUAL INSPECTION OF BRAKES AND CHECK AND RESET ALL TIRE PRESSURES. CHECK AND TOP OFF ALL FLUIDS.
    • PERFORM PA STATE INSPECTION
  • 11/16/2016 57,140mi
    • CUSTOMER STATES EMISSIONS WARNING LIGHT IS ON AND OIL LEVEL TOO HIGH MESSAGE. CONN BATT CHRG FOR DIS TEST HAS FAULTS FOR Nox SENSORS & SCR EFFINENCY. PERFORM TEST PLANS(wt) INCL FUNCTION TEST FOR SCR SYSTEM(wt) PASSES. ADD'L TEST PLANS, DETERMINE Nox SENSORS ARE FAULTY. REPLACE BOTH Nox SENSORS, CLR FAULTS & RD TEST.
  • 7/31/2017 68,962mi
    • PA State Inspection. PASSED
  • 11/16/2017 74,669mi
    • PERFORM DRIVERS AIRBAG RECALL B650416 DRIVER. REPLACE GAS GENERATOR FOR LF AIRBAG #17B2304T2222
  • 7/2/2018 84,181mi
    • PA State Inspection. PASSED
  • 4/2/2019 94,031mi
    • B650219 RECALL: PASSENGER S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE
    • 21918 RECALL: IDLER PULLEY BOLT. REPLACED BOLT WITH DEFLECTION ELEMENT.
  • 7/8/2019 97,915mi
    • CUSTOMER STATES DIESEL FLUID NEEDS TO BE ADDED. TOPPED FLUID (OVER 5 GALLONS) (ACCIDENTLY CHANGED OIL ALSO , DID NOT CHARGE FOR THAT)
    • C/S THE COMFORT ACCESS IS NOT WORKING ON DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR-CHECK AND ADVISE. NEEDS A COMFORT ACCESS HANDLE APX 650.00 INSTALLED
    • REPLACED WORN, STREAKING WIPERS
  • 2/22/2020 108,739mi
    • CAR TOWED TO SHOP, STUCK IN PARK WONT COME OUT. PERFORM DIAGNOSIS AND REPLACED FAILED PARKING BRAKE UNIT AND BROKEN SWITCH
  • 7/13/2020 111,737mi
    • CUSTOMER STATES, A/C STOPS BLOWING COLD AIR ON LONG TRIPS CORRECTION : CHECKED SYSTEM CHARGE- OK, ORDERED A NEW EVAPORATER TEMPSENSOR. REMOVED THE ONE FROM THE CAR AND MEASURED RESISTANCE AFTER 1 HOUR SITTING. FOUND 1000 OHM DIFFERENCE. REPLACED EVAP. TEMP SENSOR.MATCH PRICE QUOTED
    • CUSTOMER REQUESTS OIL SERVICE CORRECTION : OEM Oil & Filter Change OEM 35d
  • 9/17/2020 114,446mi
    • NAV UPDATE. CAUSE : NAV UPDATE WILL NOT LOAD. SHOP FOREMAN INVOLVED CORRECTION : AFTER MULTIPLE FAILED ATTEMPTS, FINALLY GOT 2017 MAPS TO LOAD. RETURNED CAR TO CUSTOMER.
  • 10/20/2021 132,368mi
    • A WARNING LIGHT FOR EMISSIONS SYSTEM IS ILLUMINATED...CUSTOMER SAYS THAT CAR DIED WHEN DRIVING AND WOULD NOT RESTART, CUSTOMER SAYS ANOTHER DEALER TOLD HER THEY NEEDED GLOW PLUGS, UNSURE IF RELATED. CEL WARNING LIGHT FOR EMISSIONS SYSTEM IS ILLUMINATED.
      • CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGER AND CONNECTED BMW DIAGNOSTIC TESTER TO SCAN FAULT CODE MEMORY - FOUND FAULTS FOR FUEL PRESSURE, CAMSHAFT SENSOR, NOX SENSORS. FOUND ISSUE TO BE WIRING FOR NOX SENSOR CAUSING FUSE TO BLOW. REPAIRED WIRING AND REPLACED FUSE TO CORRECT.
    • NOTED VEHICLE STILL HAS FAULTS FOR GLOW PLUGS. RECOMMEND REPLACING GLOW PLUGS AND MODULE...QUOTED $1456.00 PARTS NOT IN STOCK AT THIS TIME.
  • 11/23/2021 133,011mi
    • Sold at Auction
    • Front brake pads and oil change performed by dealer. Oil Light was not reset. 
  • 1/28/2022 133,066mi
    • TOOK DELIVERY!
    • Noted issues
      • A couple cracked trim pieces, shifter bezel delaminating
      • Upper glove box door swollen, will not open when released.
      • Drivers door comfort access not operational.
      • Tail gate rattle
      • Drivers Passenger door open warning after pulling out of parking spot. Happened several times that day but hasn't repeated since. 
      • 1 key is intermittent, not always detected by comfort access.
      • Hood pops but won't open. Cable isn't pulling drivers side latch anymore.
      • Oil over capacity warning, verified slightly over with dip stick but OK as is.
      • 1/28/2022 133,066mi
  • 4/30/2022 138,244mi
    • Liquid Moly BMW Diesel Oil Change Kit 5W-30
  • 9/10/2022 145,463mi
    • Liquid Moly BMW Diesel Oil Change Kit 5W-30
  • 12/20/2022 151,852mi
    • VL Performance Performed:
      • Liquid Moly Leichtlauf high tech 5w-40 x6l & STP Oil Filter P983
      • Transfer Case flush with fluid and drain plugs provided from FCP kit
      • Replaced fuel filter with provided Mahle filter
    • VL Performance Recommends:
      • Air Filter
      • Brake Fluid Flush
      • Transmission Pan Gasket

Finally got the title for this thing. Shout out to Fran at Thompson BMW for getting me most of the records in like 5min after I emailed her. I'll keep the log as a separate post I can reference to as well as anybody else looking for transparency on owning one of these. Looks like the oil has been changed consistently every 10-12k although I must be missing some records yet. I don't have a record for the first time the glow plugs were recommended and I'm guessing the oil was changed at some point between 111-133k. Might have to cold call any other dealers near by to see if this was serviced locally but not reported on the CarFax. Also the glow plug faults were not noted in my LemonSquad inspection so guessing a low level OBDII reader was used and didn't show up. I'll need to see what the car currently has for faults if any others. 

Pics of the "big issues". I find it funny after 20+ years after the E32/E34 they still haven't made trim clear that lasts 🤣 The glove box door is annoying but not worth buying a new part. Hopefully I can find a used replacement at some point. Other than that, the trunk rattle has gotten worse over the 2,000+ miles I've put on it already. Once its somewhat decent outside I'll see if I can adjust a few things. 

IMG_5591.jpegIMG_5593.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Changed the oil over the weekend. It’s been 6k since i picked this up already. I haven’t done a deep dive into recommended oil change intervals yet but I got liquid moly service package from FCP on top of the oil change kit as I wanted to do a engine flush sooner rather than later. The fuel system cleaner supposedly does a pretty great job with the carbon build up but I forgot to buy fuel filters so that’ll wait till my next order. 

I wish I would’ve bought an oil extractor sooner, it really takes the mess out of everything. Still had to drain about a quart out because I already had some in the extractor tank and this motor takes right around 8l and the flush thinned it out as well. I also wanted to change the drain plug washer just for piece of mind. FCP was out of magnetic drain plugs so that’ll be added next time.

Also only one of these blue diesels was built in America, most people wouldn’t guess correctly 😂

A6B04109-99FF-4323-AAF0-39D884AF5A05.jpeg

On 5/6/2022 at 1:45 PM, GunMetalGrey said:

Which one? 

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/6-cylinder-diesel-additive-kit-step-1-liqui-moly-lmk0009

So I used the Pro-Line Engine Flush and CERA TEC oil additive in conjunction with the liquid moly oil change kit and added the diesel additive in this tank. We got 27mpg roundtrip to the twin cities this past weekend with the wind so I was pretty happy. Im curious on BMW's official stance against diesel additives, the fuel door has a sticker stating not to use them. Given North American diesel quality can vary wildly, I've always ran additives. 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:21 PM, wasnt m3 said:

Where did you find production numbers? One of one in that color combo? If so, that's really cool.

I don't know any of the production numbers but I would love to find out. The CompNine vin decoder will tell you production numbers for GM vehicles, would be cool if there was an equivalent for BMW or maybe the BMWCCA Foundation archives might know. I don't remember if it was a 2013 but this same color combo diesel came up for sale on a CoPart auction a few days after we bought this. 

I use hot shots diesel extreme additive regularly.  Supposed to keep the injectors happy, and it boosts cetane levels.  I can definitely hear a difference at idle when it's in the tank, it's much quieter. 

Others have had luck freeing up a stuck injector with a strong dose of this stuff also.   

Other than that, it's just regular maintenance with liquid moly products in the old girl! 

I do 30k mile transmission fluid changes just because of the added power of the engine and trans tune with the higher fluid pressures.  I only put about between 8-10k miles a year so it's no big deal. 

I want this thing to last, they're getting hard to find!!