WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The Vintage 2022

timmer

Any other WI Bimmers members heading to the Vintage in North Carolina in May this year?

I’ve heard a lot about this classic BMW Show and figured it’s time to go!  We plan on taking a week to see the sights and make a vacation out of it.  I’d like to check out the Bourbon Trail while we’re down there 😉

Here is the website 

https://www.atthevintage.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/atthevintage/?ref=share

Now… which car to bring?? 🤔

-Tim

7847FB3F-CE56-40F3-A149-01CA82CE2B80.jpeg

1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

Hmm, will I have the e30 back together by then? Maybe this would be a good goal… nothing like a 1000+ mile shakedown run, right?

As @wasnt m3 will tell you - if it will make it around the block it will make it around the world. 

last time I went down there in the e30 we put on like 3400 miles. Err, 7.3 if you counted from my odometer 

4 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Hmm, will I have the e30 back together by then? Maybe this would be a good goal… nothing like a 1000+ mile shakedown run, right?

I’ll challenge you, I was thinking this would be a good goal for getting the 540i back together. It needs to stretch its legs as well. 

3 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I’ll challenge you, I was thinking this would be a good goal for getting the 540i back together. It needs to stretch its legs as well. 

Let’s see, manual swap, new diff, subframe bushings, new fuel tank, new aux fan, a timing belt, and fixing vacuum leaks?

You might beat me, but it’ll be a hell of a good challenge. You’re on!

I read through the itinerary for the last year, seems like they do a road rally one day, an trip to the BMW museum in SC another, and have the “show” or gathering or whatever the third day. I’ve spent limited time down in that region and never with a fun car, so I’m most excited to experience some really good roads with what will hopefully be a really well suited car for the twisties. 

This would be something to consider as well. I've never been to the foundation's museum. 

https://happeningnext.com/event/the-power-of-m-the-vintage-open-house-2022-eid4snu3jvsvb1

This year, the Foundation Museum is bringing you an exceptional collection of BMW M cars AND a motorcycle celebrating the 50 years of BMW M! We have 25-27 exceptional cars from the 1972 3.0 CSL batmobile AND a 3.0 CSL race car to a M1 Procar, E36 M3 Lightweight, Steve Soper E30 M3 DTM, plus many of the newer BMW M cars. We will also have the BMW M motorcycle, the M 1000 RR. This is an exhibit you won't want to miss! Be among the first to see this brand-new exhibit at The Ultimate Driving Museum / BMW CCA Foundation Museum!

The Power of M will open to the public in May and runs through January 2023. We look forward to seeing our Vintage friends on Friday, May 20.

Is this event registration separate from my registration for The Vintage?

Yes. On this page, you will only register for the BMW CCA Foundation's The Power of M exhibition open house on Friday, May 20. You do not have to be registered for The Vintage to attend The Power of M opening event. To register for The Vintage event on Saturday, May 21, 2022 in Hot Springs, NC, please visit www.atthevintage.com.

9 hours ago, YoungCR said:

This would be something to consider as well. I've never been to the foundation's museum. 

I saw that too!  I think we’ll definitely go to this….We’re also planning a trip to Spartanburg to check out the BMW attractions there as well after the show.

This trip is getting better by the day!

• 3 months later...

Dang.  I wish i would have spotted this earlier; I would've timed it with visiting family in Asheville.  I've driven through Hot Springs and I never would have guessed there would be a BMW event there.  Beautiful roads and beautiful mountain landscape.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, Jdesign said:

Only BMW I have that I would enjoy the trip in right now is my 2002. Is anyone still going?

Otherwise I would be interested next year so I can take my e30, I will mark my calendar NOW. lol

I am 100% in for next year. Bit off more that I could chew time-wise this spring so it’s looking more like mid summer when the e30 will be back on the road, but I definitely want to do this and would love to make it an annual thing. 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, timmer said:

We are still going!  Gonna make it an annual trip... Gonna take my E30 this year, my wife's E30 Cabrio next year, and hopefully by the third year, I'll have the E21 ready to go, lol.

Looking forward to it!!!! It would be awesome to get a WiBimmers group going ever year!

Awesome. Im actually going to go to Alpine Vag Fair which is just south of there in Helen, GA. Might have to make a detour along the way for a day!

We made it!  Not a single hiccup ( except for the Indiana roads beating us up) and even managed about 28mpg! 

The cars are rolling in from all over... Amazing cars.... I need to find myself a 2002 now, lol.

We're off to Greer SC today to attend "50 years of M" at the BMW CCA and check out the production facility and performance center.

Tomorrow is the big show, expect a big photo dump!

-Timmer 

PXL_20220518_204513820.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-075626.png

Screenshot_20220520-075643.png

Screenshot_20220520-075741.png

I made it to Helen, and was planning on driving back up Saturday morning. I checked the weather and it was 20 degrees colder and called for thunderstorms so I decided against going. It looks like the weatherman was wrong again. Oh well, I will make sure I attending next year. Please share all the photos you can!