Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

2010 328i M Sport // Build Thread


pynacl
 Share

Recommended Posts

Time to tackle the big chungus of N52 oil leaks. Could BMW have achieved the 50/50 weight distribution without putting the pan directly above the subframe/steering rack? Of course not! It was a fairly minor leak and the under tray caught all of it, but just don't want it leaking on my driveway. Luckily the car had the valve cover, spark plug tube seals, both eccentric shaft seals and oil filter housing gaskets replaced in the last 7k miles. Feels worth it to button up the last of the oil leak possibilities.

 

IMG_5279.jpgIMG_5281.jpgIMG_5280.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swear getting parts in the mail is like crack. Sometimes I get so bored I toss in an order for small cosmetic things, because they’re satisfying to replace. Noticed my rear trunk release handle was cracking, so I rationalized a water leak was possible. It must be replaced!! Then I decided to fix the driver cup holder because it wouldn’t come out. Busted it apart and found the retainer wheel had fallen off. Now I can go through drive thrus woohoo! Also replaced the cup holder trim because I scuffed up the original one getting it off, damn soft touch… didn't hurt since the original one looked like someone blew a snot rocket into it.

 

FA586BB7-4709-446D-82F3-FC3BE999C1B3.jpeg

3D527C90-61E2-4A88-BA7F-4CFE45CA4CE1.jpeg

DF3C16CB-87CA-42BB-9A77-BF444A94D65E.jpeg

D439B7A5-EECA-44A7-A365-CC01384CF0BD.jpeg

22380162-B071-48A1-B2F4-BED4777A499F.jpeg

3E202A55-8B79-47BC-9ED1-F33AF55D8D53.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Went to pickup some food and nailed what appeared to be a crankshaft pulley with a bolt attached laying on the highway. It bounced up and put a hole through the under tray and dented the center support bar. Missed the alum oil pan by a few inches thank god.

E230886F-BAFB-4A29-A889-9DEA89C2F417.jpeg

BA75C4AA-2ED7-4888-B55C-15EBDFED10F4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Little update after taking off the plastic under-tray. Seems as if the item in the road actually hit the center support so hard it bent it INTO the front subframe, denting it. Doesn't seem to have bent it or thrown anything out of alignment, but I'm certainly no expert. Anyone have any advice or insight on the severity of a hit like this?

IMG_5878.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

Holy cow!

Right?! By the sound of it I was surprised it didn't shoot right through the floor lol. I immediately pulled over, shut the car off and crawled under expecting oil to be everywhere. I suppose this is better than if it hit the oil pan or trans huh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pynacl said:

Little update after taking off the plastic under-tray. Seems as if the item in the road actually hit the center support so hard it bent it INTO the front subframe, denting it. Doesn't seem to have bent it or thrown anything out of alignment, but I'm certainly no expert. Anyone have any advice or insight on the severity of a hit like this?

IMG_5878.jpg

A solid smack! 

You should be fine, I'd just glance there in say 6 months to make sure it isn't wearing against it / wearing a hole through it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 8:02 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Other than you knowing it's there that shouldn't hurt anything.  

 

19 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

A solid smack! 

You should be fine, I'd just glance there in say 6 months to make sure it isn't wearing against it / wearing a hole through it. 

Always a bit spooky when alum parts get hit that hard! I appreciate the insight guys, just going to replace the steel center brace and under tray and call it a day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, pynacl said:

Time to tackle the big chungus of N52 oil leaks. Could BMW have achieved the 50/50 weight distribution without putting the pan directly above the subframe/steering rack? Of course not! It was a fairly minor leak and the under tray caught all of it, but just don't want it leaking on my driveway. Luckily the car had the valve cover, spark plug tube seals, both eccentric shaft seals and oil filter housing gaskets replaced in the last 7k miles. Feels worth it to button up the last of the oil leak possibilities.

 

IMG_5279.jpgIMG_5281.jpgIMG_5280.jpg

Little before and after of the oil pan gasket and hardware replacement. Nice to no longer piss oil everywhere 

C81A9D2F-AFC1-4742-9E46-79F8D9CE09C0.jpeg

79251E00-1FC4-4800-BDC8-F06EB42D5EDC.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.