WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

2010 328i M Sport // Build Thread

pynacl

Time to tackle the big chungus of N52 oil leaks. Could BMW have achieved the 50/50 weight distribution without putting the pan directly above the subframe/steering rack? Of course not! It was a fairly minor leak and the under tray caught all of it, but just don't want it leaking on my driveway. Luckily the car had the valve cover, spark plug tube seals, both eccentric shaft seals and oil filter housing gaskets replaced in the last 7k miles. Feels worth it to button up the last of the oil leak possibilities.

IMG_5279.jpgIMG_5281.jpgIMG_5280.jpg

I swear getting parts in the mail is like crack. Sometimes I get so bored I toss in an order for small cosmetic things, because they’re satisfying to replace. Noticed my rear trunk release handle was cracking, so I rationalized a water leak was possible. It must be replaced!! Then I decided to fix the driver cup holder because it wouldn’t come out. Busted it apart and found the retainer wheel had fallen off. Now I can go through drive thrus woohoo! Also replaced the cup holder trim because I scuffed up the original one getting it off, damn soft touch… didn't hurt since the original one looked like someone blew a snot rocket into it.

FA586BB7-4709-446D-82F3-FC3BE999C1B3.jpeg

3D527C90-61E2-4A88-BA7F-4CFE45CA4CE1.jpeg

DF3C16CB-87CA-42BB-9A77-BF444A94D65E.jpeg

D439B7A5-EECA-44A7-A365-CC01384CF0BD.jpeg

22380162-B071-48A1-B2F4-BED4777A499F.jpeg

3E202A55-8B79-47BC-9ED1-F33AF55D8D53.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Little update after taking off the plastic under-tray. Seems as if the item in the road actually hit the center support so hard it bent it INTO the front subframe, denting it. Doesn't seem to have bent it or thrown anything out of alignment, but I'm certainly no expert. Anyone have any advice or insight on the severity of a hit like this?

IMG_5878.jpg

8 hours ago, pynacl said:

Little update after taking off the plastic under-tray. Seems as if the item in the road actually hit the center support so hard it bent it INTO the front subframe, denting it. Doesn't seem to have bent it or thrown anything out of alignment, but I'm certainly no expert. Anyone have any advice or insight on the severity of a hit like this?

IMG_5878.jpg

A solid smack! 

You should be fine, I'd just glance there in say 6 months to make sure it isn't wearing against it / wearing a hole through it. 

On 9/7/2021 at 8:02 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Other than you knowing it's there that shouldn't hurt anything.  

19 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

A solid smack! 

You should be fine, I'd just glance there in say 6 months to make sure it isn't wearing against it / wearing a hole through it. 

Always a bit spooky when alum parts get hit that hard! I appreciate the insight guys, just going to replace the steel center brace and under tray and call it a day

On 8/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, pynacl said:

Time to tackle the big chungus of N52 oil leaks. Could BMW have achieved the 50/50 weight distribution without putting the pan directly above the subframe/steering rack? Of course not! It was a fairly minor leak and the under tray caught all of it, but just don't want it leaking on my driveway. Luckily the car had the valve cover, spark plug tube seals, both eccentric shaft seals and oil filter housing gaskets replaced in the last 7k miles. Feels worth it to button up the last of the oil leak possibilities.

IMG_5279.jpgIMG_5281.jpgIMG_5280.jpg

Little before and after of the oil pan gasket and hardware replacement. Nice to no longer piss oil everywhere 

C81A9D2F-AFC1-4742-9E46-79F8D9CE09C0.jpeg

79251E00-1FC4-4800-BDC8-F06EB42D5EDC.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, KaiserRolls said:

Sell it to me 

Ah see but then I'd have to officially take the loss of overpaying for the car! Only half joking but, I really do love this thing. It's in storage since it felt wrong to expose it to it's first winter when I have that extra parts bin of an M3 I've been driving