WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Rekpoints 05 E46 M3 Build Thread

Rekpoint

IMG_5575.jpg

Starter update, Started the job on Saturday. It took 2 hours to disassemble and remove the starter. (1 of those hours was just fucking with the intake manifold clamps) Finished the job up today as I had to wait for the proper intake manifold clamp tool. Took an hour to put everything back together and 3 minutes to re-install the manifold clamps with the proper tool. Way better then struggling for an hour.

While the intake manifold was off I took time to remove the ICV and spray it out with some carb cleaner so the flap could move freely. Wasn't an issue more just a while I was in there type deal. I did the same by also cleaning the throttle bodies. They weren't too dirty but now they are fresh and clean. I also lubed up the throttle body springs + long metal thing with white lithium grease spray.

IMG_5590.jpgIMG_5589.jpgIMG_5586.jpg67676198358__FBD988E0-0756-4FB6-A279-0250F21B4812.jpg

AFE calls to re-oil your filter every 30k miles. The filter was no longer blue. So while it was out sitting I cleaned it with the supplied cleaner. Hosed it out, waited for it to dry and re-oiled the filter.

IMG_5577.jpg

I 100% credit how fast I did this to the new tools I purchased. Got an awesome deal on a Milwaukee fuel mini impact, ratchet and impact drill. The proper tool to remove and install the manifold clamps. And this crazy harbor freight T handle ratchet so I could reach the starter from on top of the engine bay.

IMG_5598.jpgIMG_5616.jpg

Besides looking like crap there was no visible failure on the old starter. Even the gear was solid, Just inconsistent. But took it on a test run today and the car started right up 90 degrees out and engine hot like it wouldn't have in the past.

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

Muffler brackets will be here tomorrow. Will tackle that and my X pipe when I get back from San Diego.

IMG_5617.jpg

On 6/15/2022 at 7:43 PM, YoungCR said:

M12 3/8 stubby impact is a beast, ratchet is still on my list. Nice work! People always dismiss the factory tools as silly or expensive but you end up saving so much time because that’s what they were designed for lol. 

Highly recommend the m18 mid torque as a beefier gun for suspension/driveline/brake work, I use it arguably more than the stubby. They’re great complements to one another, especially if you ever work on anything heavier. 

48 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Highly recommend the m18 mid torque as a beefier gun for suspension/driveline/brake work, I use it arguably more than the stubby. They’re great complements to one another, especially if you ever work on anything heavier. 

I also have an m18 half inch impact. That thing is awesome for wheels, suspension or anything beefy. I'm just happy to no need to use it on small fasteners anymore as its pretty heavy. 

• 5 months later...

Here is a long past due update. Back in August I decided it was time to switch out the Amber Corners/Sides/Tails to clears in preparation for what I thought was coming this next year. I also did an oil change with OE BMW oil as they switched back to Castrol. Took a Blackstone test that I also haven't sent out yet.

First week of September I got the exhaust back from the machine shop new brackets were welded up very nicely. So both the Eisenmann Race + SuperSprint X pipe were installed! Sounds so much better. OEM+ Tone deeper and not too loud either. 

In September I participated in another CVSCC Auto X at the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds. Ended up winning First in F street Class and 10th place in PAX time. 11th overall time. 

Fast Forward to yesterday I picked up a full Imola E46 M3 interior from @wasnt m3. Couldn't resist that will go in the car in the spring or whenever.

89DDCC97-059D-47F1-B890-C535C3417B0C.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6363.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6487.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6548.jpg

IMG_6570.jpg

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

IMG_7572.jpg

IMG_7573.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7577.jpg

15 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Is that a sunbeam tiger in the background of one of those photos? What’s the story on that?

Nice eye, Yeah its a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger MKII, (Not an alpine Clone lol) My dad has owned it since the early 80s and parked it in the 90s. He wanted an AC Cobra but didn't have Cobra money at the time. So he settled with the next best thing. Weird car as Sunbeam was acquired by Chrysler. So Ford V8, in a British car. With Chrysler Stars on the seatbelts. From what he has told me in the past they made just under 700 of the MKIIs and way less then half are left as everyone totaled them. 

It was originally a BRG car and he plans to start restoring it when he retires, If he ever does.