WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New BMW Art Cars

I'm guilty of being cynical when it comes to some recent BMW art cars and I wanted to be cynical about this new interpretation but i'm actually really intrigued by this thought of AI learning to "paint".  It doesn't interest me from the perspective of what can the computer learn but how can someone utilize data science to make something.  I like this because personally, I can see things in my head that I can't get out in physical form whether it be through painting, drawing, wood or metal work ,etc so this to me is a way that someone can have an idea and make something that can spit it out.

I think the output is almost always going to be sterile until you can find a way to come up with "happy accidents" through the use of the inputs you're providing and see what comes out.  A lot of these liveries look like generic art but at the same time I could absolutely see some of them ripping down the straights at Road America and I'd be thrilled it wasn't the normal sponsor explosion a car.

What are your thoughts?

Name:  P90420036_highRes_the-ultimate-ai-mast.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  293.1 KB

i find many things wrong with this. 

art is creative human expression. trying to remove the human from it seems sad to me. no emotion, no story, no heart, no intelligence or understanding of the effect the art could have. yes, a guy programmed a computer, but the point of the programming was for the guy to not have an influence on the art, just to get a computer to do it. 

the took an 'ai' program that already existed and plugged in other peoples art that already existed - not much of that seems original. 

and again, there is no actual car with art on it, like the last dumb bmw digital art 'car.' one of the endearing parts of bmw's art car program was the physical paint on the car. an artist applying their creativity to the surface of this machine created piece of equipment. it was a great contrast. 

i find it hilarious that they didn't just pick one, they chose an array. obviously none were very good on their own so it had to be a collection to make it seem more interesting. quantity over quality. look at the high res images, the graphics arent even clear, they are all pixelated and fuzzy. its 2021, we cant even have 1080p art cars? 

also, calling their own art a 'masterpiece' is so cringe. much facepalm.