WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

any ideas on value of my e92?

wally509

Hi guys,

I know I haven't been around here much and this is probably frowned upon to make these sorts of posts but...

I need to get a new(er) car with automatic for a variety of reasons.  Therefore this thing has to go.  The edmunds true car won't give me a value for it for whatever reason so I have no way to know if I'm getting hosed by the dealer (if I trade it in) or what to ask for it if I try to sell it outright.  I know it's not worth a whole lot.  I was looking at a 528i automatic several years ago and that dealer didn't want it because it was manual trans.

It's an '07 328i sport package with manual transmission, rear wheel drive.  Space gray with saddle leather (obviously).  178,500 miles.  The car is cosmetically clean with just the normal chips in the front bumper cover.

It needs a driveshaft, which is kind of prompting this.  It is currently drivable but it's on the way out, there is the "rust colored powder of death" coming out of the rear u-joint.  There are some other minor nits, but the major stuff like the a/c works.  If it ends up going for sale here I will disclose all said nits as I'm one of those dreaded completely honest type guys.

It had shocks, struts, water pump/thermostat at ~150k, and within the last 3k front control arms, two front tires plus I just had the oil pan gasket done.

Any thoughts?
Wally

20210426_120122.jpg

20210426_120139.jpg

I do love that interior color!

I'd value it $6000 - $8000 private party sale and at trade in you're just gonna get hosed.  I'd say $2000-$4000 depending on what the incentive is for the dealer to take your trade.  I based this on looking at what other e92 2007 - 2009 RWD 328i's are listed at on Cargurus and Autotrader nationwide.  The good news is being RWD it's kind of an oddity in the market here.  The bad news is being RWD it'll get passed over by too many people.

Thanks guys!  Are y'all taking into consideration the driveshaft is hosed?  The follow up question to that would be if it would be worthwhile to fix it, meaning would I get more for it fixed than the sum of as-is plus the repair.

To be honest, I was thinking quite a bit less than that.  Maybe I should just list it here and somebody who feels like doing the driveshaft job could get a deal.

16 hours ago, wally509 said:

Thanks guys!  Are y'all taking into consideration the driveshaft is hosed?  The follow up question to that would be if it would be worthwhile to fix it, meaning would I get more for it fixed than the sum of as-is plus the repair.

To be honest, I was thinking quite a bit less than that.  Maybe I should just list it here and somebody who feels like doing the driveshaft job could get a deal.

Assuming the car is still drivable and the driving feel isn't compromised I did figure my number into the sale price on the low end.  If it's falling out and noticeable large vibration on takeoff then it'd be less.  Realistically it's about $500 - $650 for a Dorman driveshaft and $1000+ for OE.  Fixing the driveshaft will make it easier to sell so you're not dealing with people looking for a deal but I don't know that it adds a substantial amount of value to the sale price.

I have a rougher shape 328i with a 6 speed, also same interior, and I'd guess that yours has gotta be worth $5000-7000. Higher end with the driveshaft repaired. These things seem to be holding value or slightly increasing as people realize what a sweet daily they are. Non-turbo straight six, maintenance is cheap and they're fun to drive. If it were me, I'd sell it as-is and let the new buyer know of the evidence you found and leave it up to them to determine how serious it is.

Well this plan sort of hit a snag.  For years, my Dad has been saying he wants to buy this car from me.  I thought he was kidding, I mean he has nowhere to keep it, he has a couple of nice cars including a Panamera to drive, etc.  Well when I told him I was going to sell it off he got all upset and reiterated he wants it and is serious.  My Mom just rolled her eyes.

Until this shakes out I figure I had better get the driveshaft fixed to at least it's safe to drive.  I am NOT doing this job myself.  The shop I use wants to put in a Cardone, I guess that's what NAPA sells them.  I always associated Cardone and Dorman with crap parts, but honestly never actually used either.  I don't want to end up in a situation where people will turn their noses up if/when I go to sell it because of that axle reman choice.  Any thoughts?

Cardone and Dorman aren't the worst out there.  I've installed I don't know how many of their half shafts over the years when I was working in shops and it never stood out to me as problematic.  The benefit for driveshafts is the remanned usually came with serviceable u-joints so it can at least be preventatively cared for.  If you're really concerned about what someone will think you can get a remanned Turner Motorsports remanned driveshaft but it's probably twice as much as the Cardone and I don't know that the quality is twice as good.  I don't know that anyone is really going to be that concerned about the brand of driveshaft at the time of sale for this car. The only thing that might stand out is if you out an OEM replacement on but that price has got to be insane.

Thanks Pat.  I figured it wouldn't make much difference on a car with this mileage when it's time to sell, this isn't going to be a top dollar car which get scrutinized on details.  I just hoped someone here had experience with them to make sure I wasn't buying a problem.  It's going to be over a grand for this job out the door, they are going to warranty the work with the Cardone part(s).

• 4 weeks later...

Useless update here...

So the car is still setting in my garage nearly a month later still with a bad driveshaft.  I have been waiting for my mechanic, SJM Autowerks in IL, for over three weeks now to get the parts in.  I check in with them weekly and the last two times they have completely blown me off, meaning they said they were going to check with their parts supplier to find out where the hell the driveshaft is and call me back, then never called me back.  This is really getting irritating.

Edited by wally509
wording

Needless to say, right after making that post...SJM actually called me and said the reman house shipped the driveshaft to their supplier (napa, I think) last Friday.  It will still be another 8-10 business days before it makes it into their hands.  SJM said there would be no hard feelings if I canceled, which I think I am going to do because I am not going to get my money back on that deal.  I know the driveshaft is on it's way out, and will disclose that to anyone I would sell it to because I don't hose people, I don't want that bad karma following me around, but the reality is it's not that bad, I've driven several people around in that car and none of them even noticed it.

Hi Rekpoint.  My Dad did come to his senses last weekend, or my Mom laid the smack down on him, and he finally agreed someone else should own the car.  I will be putting it up for sale shortly, here first, and for less than the low end of the above suggested ranges.

Good point, things are crazy right now.  I've driven by a few dealers that had actually spread out the cars to make the lot look fuller than it was.

I just go back to the last time I tried to trade this thing in three or four years ago.  Nobody wanted to touch it because of the manual trans and rwd.  Two dealers flat out said I would be better selling it myself and weren't even going to make a trade offer and one offered me $1200 (and this was at least three years ago when it only had like 150k on).