WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Helmut the e21

retoropak

I were going to build one then i figured that I can set up the canopy thing outside but I got some stupid neighbors who would certainly call code enforcement cops so decided to move it inside. 

Paint came out great. Engine bays are not my favorite thig to spray. There are bunch of angles, crevices and spots that are hard to get. I got couple of spots with that dry spray texture. I did not bother using a tack cloth after I preped the bare metal so there is bunch dust spots. Its good enough tho for the engine bay.

The floor around the drivers side torque box rusted out so this will get fixed next. I need to paint the driveshaft center bearing supports and diff mounts. Also will get the rear fender lips touched up since they cracked pretty badly when I pulled the fenders. 

Helmut

Helmut

Helmut

• 3 weeks later...

Pedals are done. 

Dual master ready to be plumbed. I am using stok e36 325i front brakes and stock 528i e28 rears. Front master is tilton 0.7" and rear is .75". Clutch is wilwood .75" I must say that Tiltons look much beefier and beter quality than wilwoods. 

I bolted front and rear suspension and set the car on jenga blocks. I need to order new brake line flaring tool since cheapo amazon one crapped out on the second try.

This is the same one Eastwood sells and I highly recommend it, perfect flares every time. There are few other brands listed on amazon with the same thing a well and available with prime shipping but I got the K Tool years ago. 

K Tool International Brake Line Flaring Tool, 45 Degree Set. Single, Double, and Bubble Flares, Vise-Mounted, T-Handle Screw Clamp

On 7/24/2022 at 12:59 PM, YoungCR said:

This is the same one Eastwood sells and I highly recommend it, perfect flares every time. There are few other brands listed on amazon with the same thing a well and available with prime shipping but I got the K Tool years ago. 

K Tool International Brake Line Flaring Tool, 45 Degree Set. Single, Double, and Bubble Flares, Vise-Mounted, T-Handle Screw Clamp

Yup just ordered it from amazon it is a TGR brand but otherwise looks the same.

What is the preferred way of doing fuel lines? 

I got enough -6AN PTFE hose to run both supply and return but I thought that maybe going with stainless hardline would be a better option. 

• 5 months later...

h my that is what happen when you have 4 other projects ehm ehm. kids, wife and house and poor bimmer had to wait again. Oh well I got a bit of motivation so I will try to keep the momentum going. Vintage 2023 I am coming :P

It is wiring time. I ordered bunch of tefzel wire a while ago but could not get myself to start the wiring process.

And of course when i started checking circuits and what wires I will need I found that I forgot to order roughly 20-30% of needed wires.
I fixed that and I am getting the remainder tomorrow.

Since I could not continue wiring for about a week focused on other things. Fuel tank was partially modified (read cut but not welded), so i tackled that. I will run just the right side tank (measures roughly 7.5 gallons). Range will be amazing escpecially on e85. Space left after the left tank will be occupied by the exhaust.

Don't mind my ugly welds it doesn't leak  and its temporary until I get the fuel cell

I also got the main power feed done. It is 1/0 splitting into 3x 4 gauge. Black thingy is the main 70A relay that will power up the "run" bus of the fusebox

I painted front calipers black and inspected rear e28 calipers that I sourced from the lemons e28. Rears will need rebuild which will be done as soon as I get my rebuild kit from rockauto.

This week I will try to finish fuel lines (6AN ptfe for that corn juice power) and continue the wiring challenge.

• 1 month later...

Electrical work is progressing well. I decided to abandon the Littlefuse integrated fusebox and build my own using TE fuseboxes. It allowed me to bus the power to the components the way I wanted.

I left the original rear harness and terminated it with the 20 pin deutsch connector. It will connect to the front harness.

Body harness is 90% complete. Almost everything under the hood is done. I am still adding some wires under dashboard for gauge power, glovebox lights or radio power and finishing up some grounds. It should be ready this week.
I get the set of cheapo rock auto parts e28 axles , brake discs and some pagid brake pads. I also got the gasket set for the m42. 

I got a set of cheapest VAG coils of amazon to see how they fit. I think i will whip something to retain the coils. Once that thing moves out of garage under it own power and suspension aligns I will replace all el cheapo parts with something of better quality. 

I spent some bucks on the Radium FPR and it fits beautifully with the nuke fuel rail.

Next:

Finish the fuel system: I got PTFE lines and fpr AND now its time for Flex fuel sensor and some AN fittings

Finish the steering: I ordered woodward u-joints and will need to whip a steering shaft. I still have to mount the column in final position. And lastly will need to sort the tie rod situation. I am thinking shorted e90 inners and e36 outers? 

Engine: I have a second m42 which was sitting (covered) outside for almost 3 years. Damn squirrel lived in that thing for two years before I chased her out of there and sprayed 2 cans of pb blaster into the motor. It made very interesting, kind of crunchy noises when turning so I am pretty sure that it will work great. I got a gasket set for it  and I am ready to dingleberry the shit out of the cylinders if needed and re-ring the pistons.

Who knows maybe it will  make it to the Vintage :P 

Beginning of the new fusebox

Helmut

New fusebox

Helmut

And the guts : power first

Elektryka

And the outputs

Elektryka

Radlok for incoming power: This thing is well........... very rad. Possibly best power connector I've seen so far

Helmut

Elektryka

Finished product with chassis harness attached. Still need to shrink the boots but first will need to test and verify all circuits. I already found horn connected to the radiator fan output and vice versa. Hooooooonk you overheated :D

Elektryka

FPR. works really well with Nuke rail. Looks like this part was meant for m42 with my manifold

ElektrykaElektryka

Chinesium coils

HelmutHelmut

• 2 months later...

Chassis harness is done and 99% functioning. There are small things to correct, like fogs and low beams control wiring is wrong and I need to move some pins around in the bulkhead connectors. 

Fuel lines, flex sensor etc is done i just need to mount the fuel filter.

ECU is mounted and one of the bulkheads is terminated.

Will finish second bulkhead and engine harness sometime this and next week. The goal is to start the engine this month. 

I cleaned the motor, slapped new gaskets including a headgasket and it should be ready to go. This thing sat for 4 years behind my shed. Damn chipmunk lived in the motor and stored bunch of chipmunk food in the head port. 

Hopefully everything cleaned fairly ok. I will pull this motor anyway and drop some forged goodies over the winter. 

I welded drain plug and turbo drain  and oil pan is now ready to go.

My arp flywheel bolts from bmw m10 are a bit too short. I will need to replace with 28mm bolts.

Also the tilton hydraulic throw out is 2mm too long and I will need to swap the TO piston for the shorter one. 

I got the steering shaft mocked up with some woodward u-joints. Will finish it once i get the e36 column in final position.

I decided to not run the motor NA and go for boost. I got the intercooler setup and i have a log manifold from my friends Volvo. The cylinder spacing is spot on i just need to redrill the flange for m42 bolt pattern.  I got some green top injectors that should support 200-250whp which should be more than enough to test the chassis. 

I also pondered the idea of running e90 cluster in  my car. I got the arduino setup with can shield and was able to control most of the cluster. Cluster talks at 100kbs and maxxecu supports 500kbs i will need to setup arduino with dual can to translate the messages from maxx to BMW but that should not be a big issue.