WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

**CLOSED** e36 M3 front suspension

Nick_08

12 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Doing 5-lug swap? I've heard good things about these kits and am considering switching to this setup: https://www.irp.lt/individual-racing-parts-product/5-lug-kit-to-use-e36-e46-wheel-bearings-and-brakes/

Lets you retain stock geometry, but can then run e46 330 brakes 

Thank for sharing. Yes, 5 lug swap so I can ditch the 18mm adapters and get the benefit of the bigger brake package. Can I ask, are the e46 brakes around the same size as the e36m3? Thanks @m42b32!

4 minutes ago, Nick_08 said:

Appreciate the info @KaiserRolls & @m42b32! The IRP kit is 12mm wider than stock which I think might make the (e38) style 5 -et23 flush. I'm looking to verify how much, if any, width the e36 swap will add. I want the tires tucked so I can run bigger tires such as a 225/50r16. Thanks!

E36 parts will add at least that much unfortunately, though I couldn't find exact numbers

12 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Some 16" wheels will fit and some won't.  I have test fitted 16" Contour reps and they do fit over e46 330 brakes.  Not sure what others do.

I'm actually researching this right now. My wheel choice is e38 style 5 (16x8 et23). 

-e46 325 front brake rotors are 300 x 22mm

-e46 330 front brake rotors are 325 x 25mm (as Mitch noted^) and there's a really good chance my wheels won't clear these. 

-e36 m3 front brake rotors are 315 x 28mm (as Mitch noted ^), I don't think these would fit either ( might be close). 

After much thought all day with the help from @KaiserRolls & @m42b32 I think I will end up going with the IRP 5 lug conversion kit and run the e46 325 calipers/rotors. These will be a decent upgrade from the e30 260 x 22mm rotor and in fact, the e46 325 setup will be 1/10th of the price of a massive BBK which is also only 300 x 22mm!

In closing, I'm going to mark this thread as closed and thank you all for the information. Appreciate it...

-Nick