WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ZF 5spd Detent Replacement Tools

Bassboy3313

Question

10 answers to this question

The first one was a bitch and a half. Made the mistake of not splitting the bushing completely down the seam. it came loose from the bore, but I was unable to pull it out due to the lower half not being folded in enough. It fell down into the trans, thought I was screwed. Eventually got it out tho. Second one came out super easy after learning from the first one. Now to just get some small files to clean up the bore walls. Then I can get the new ones in and finish up the trans work. 

21 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Don’t the revised detent pins come with press in sleeves/bushings?? As long as the bore isn’t too mangled I wouldn’t be worried about it as the new detent will have a sleeve to ride in

As long as any damage doesn't protrude and deform the sleeve inward it shouldn't really matter as far as I'm aware

5 hours ago, m42b32 said:

As long as any damage doesn't protrude and deform the sleeve inward it shouldn't really matter as far as I'm aware

Correct. I just want to knock down any high spots that may have happened. Otherwise the new bushing can get deformed and the detent can stick again. Better safe than sorry, you know?