WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Tool Chests on Uneven Garage Floor

gilber33

As I'm redoing my garage, I picked up two Husky 46" tool chests. These next to each other will become my work bench. Naturally, the floor slopes from the back to the front of the garage and the wall that these will be going against will have some of that slope. I have see some solutions where people install adjustable legs instead of the casters. But the casters add about 6" of height and there's probably a 2" height difference from one end of the ultimately 92" work bench to the other end. I'm not confident I'll be able to find adjustable casters that will give me that much height or adjustment.

I think something like this would work best. Some square tubing that the boxes can sit on, and then legs either cut to fit my floor or close enough that I can than put adjustable legs on this. Looking for any advice or if others have their own solutions? I know I could just use some wood blocks and whatnot, but I would like this to be functional and look good at the same time. I'm putting a lot of effort into the garage for its remake and don't want to half ass this. 

image.png

image.png

3 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Garage Journal is a great site for inspiration. I've seen lots of work bench builds with harbor freight tool boxes underneath.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I’ll take a look there. I have to be careful because I get too deep in things like that and it makes me rethink all my life choices and convince myself I need to tear down my garage and start over. 

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I'd definitely find a way to incorporate elevator bolts if you want to build something nice out of metal, that way you can dial it in perfectly and if you ever need/want to move it you an re-adjust. The garage journal website gets me excited to build up my garage over the winter. 

image.jpeg

I found this example that I like. 

4 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Call me objective, but I'm betting that the time and effort you've put into thinking about how to level your workbench has already exceeded the time and effort you would lose by having an un-level workbench.

It wouldn’t be an issue whatsoever except that I’m planning on putting cabinets above the work bench. And there is conduit running around the garage for the wall outlets. So there would be two level things above a clearly unlevel thing. 

Also - I have until next June before we’re even back in our house for me to use the garage. Until then, I’m reworking the inside and have ample time to do these little things. 

Wood frame would be easy, and you could paint it to make it match nicely. Personally, i would try to have them close to flush with the floor. I hate how much dirt and crap accumulates under my work benches. The real ticket to be a baller is a stainless steel top (or discount baller solution of a $40 laminate countertop at Menards). Elevator bolts is a good idea for adjustability. 

image.png

On 9/16/2020 at 12:31 PM, gilber33 said:

I think I know what you mean, and I don't think I'm disagreeing with you, but could you expand on that? 

Heh, drunk ramblings. I could probably explain it, but I'd have to write a book to do it. Nothing about car culture makes sense rationally or economically. The fact that people do it anyway leaves a lot of space for someone to step in and ask "why" and what is the significance and meaning of all of it.

On the surface, the desire to have a nice level workbench seems like a virtuous pursuit, and probably is. It shows a commitment to perfection, or at least attention to detail. However, you illustrated the downside yourself:

On 9/14/2020 at 11:32 PM, gilber33 said:

I’ll take a look there. I have to be careful because I get too deep in things like that and it makes me rethink all my life choices and convince myself I need to tear down my garage and start over.

I realize you were exaggerating, but for me it illustrates the flip side of pursuit of perfection and attention to detail.

16 hours ago, HipMF said:

Heh, drunk ramblings. I could probably explain it, but I'd have to write a book to do it. Nothing about car culture makes sense rationally or economically. The fact that people do it anyway leaves a lot of space for someone to step in and ask "why" and what is the significance and meaning of all of it.

On the surface, the desire to have a nice level workbench seems like a virtuous pursuit, and probably is. It shows a commitment to perfection, or at least attention to detail. However, you illustrated the downside yourself:

I realize you were exaggerating, but for me it illustrates the flip side of pursuit of perfection and attention to detail.

That makes complete sense. 

I feel the majority of car culture - and this can probably translate into most hobbies - is a dick measuring contest. There is a constant pursuit to be the best and then photo dump the internet so everyone else can tell you how awesome you are. I think this is the reason that I don't do a lot of mainstream auto events. I personally enjoy cars - but I don't enjoy car people (large generalization). I try to not be that person, and I fail at times. Everyone does. 

how about retractable casters? Two fixed casters at the back, always touching the ground, and two retractable at the front, hidden behind the corner frame posts youve shown in the sketchup model. build the frame so that when the fronts are down, the frame is resting on the ground and the top is level. then just activate the front casters to move the whole bench as needed. use adjustable feet under the front for when its resting. 

i'd also recommend trying to get some amount of toe kick space under the front. besides its obvious function, it will also keep the bottom frame of the bench cleaner