WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Touring Life

Bassboy3313

• 1 month later...

After more failed attempts at coding the B25 DME (kept having issues with connecting and finding the dme in the software), it was time to turn to plan b. Thanks to @m42b32 for having an extra MS43 DME and being able to flash it with everything I needed. Joe ended up putting the stock B30 tune, EWS delete and SAI delete on it and it worked like a charm. 

After a couple startups to see how things were going, the engine started running extremely rough and wouldn't idle. @B C ended up stopping over with his computer. We checked fuel injectors, good. Checked coilpacks, good. Nothing was obvious from the outside, so we plugged the computer in to check error codes. After translating a few we narrowed it down to the DISA valve. Turns out the plug wasn't fully seated on the connector. Plugged it in and purred like a kitten. Sweet! 

Torqued down axle nuts and crank bolt, bled the clutch a million different ways until it finally got all the air out, dropped it on the ZHP wheels and took it for a short "around the block" drive. All seems pretty good. 

Time to throw the front end back on, hood, fill AC install airbox and start daily it. 👍

20210714_195306.jpg

20210726_193751.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been having a rougher idle on the touring the past few weeks. I installed BMW Scanner and INPA on my spare laptop and connected it up. Cleared all the adaptations and scanned it for codes. These are what I pulled

Error Code 106 - Control Vanos Mechanicall Outlet Blocked or Jammed

Error Code 8 - Air Flow Meter

Error Code 106 could if been a few different things, cam sensor, vanos seals, vanos solenoids, etc. I decided to start swapping parts off the Z3 coupe to diagnose the problem. Started with the exhaust side cam position sensor. Swapped the part, cleared adaptations and Error codes, fired it up. Luckily first try was a success! Cam sensor cleared the Error Code 106.

For Error Code 8, I was going to swap MAFs, but unfortunately the 2.8L Z3 coupe MAF is the same size as the B25 MAF, not the B30 MAF. Decided to just go ahead a buy a new MAF off FCP Euro while purchasing tue new cam sensor and oring. Hopefully this is it and daily driving commences. 

After this, still gotta full up the AC system and good to go. 👍

• 2 months later...

Replaced both cam sensors seemed to have fixed my idling issues which is awesome. Had a bad knocking sound on acceleration off a stop which I pinpointed to the driveshaft CSB and flex disc guibo. So off with the exhaust, heatshield and driveshaft for the third time. Replaced them and all is good now. 

Daily driver status commence!!

• 11 months later...

Today a new owner got the opportunity to grab this touring and hopefully enjoy it as much as I have. This car was very enjoyable after the B30 and manual swap. It definitely didn't hurt the value either. Time for something new as a daily tho. 

Currently in the market for something different. Thinking either an e91 Touring or even a Mini Countryman S to have some boost back in my life while still being able to haul things. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

11 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Today a new owner got the opportunity to grab this touring and hopefully enjoy it as much as I have. This car was very enjoyable after the B30 and manual swap. It definitely didn't hurt the value either. Time for something new as a daily tho. 

Currently in the market for something different. Thinking either an e91 Touring or even a Mini Countryman S to have some boost back in my life while still being able to haul things. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

My wife's car is an R60 Countryman S All4 and it's pretty fun to drive even with an automatic, good in the snow, and gets like 30mpg too. Not nearly as much room inside as the e91 (it's easily a foot shorter) but still can fit a decent amount of stuff inside with the back seats folded. 

On 10/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, m42b32 said:

My wife's car is an R60 Countryman S All4 and it's pretty fun to drive even with an automatic, good in the snow, and gets like 30mpg too. Not nearly as much room inside as the e91 (it's easily a foot shorter) but still can fit a decent amount of stuff inside with the back seats folded. 

That's definitely some good info, thanks! I was planning on going to see these three this weekend. Any insight always helps.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5490729274374093/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1303804813527857/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/699095657848007/