WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Touring Life

Bassboy3313

9 minutes ago, B C said:

how bad was removing the pedals?

It wasn't that bad actually. Put the seat all the way back and knelt on ground leaned in under dash. Hardest part was getting the booster arm off the brake pedal due to the metal loop that surrounds the pin on the brake pedal arm. Running the line to the slave cylinder will be a huge bitch tho as the carpet doesn't want to bend very easily to get to the grommet hole in floor/firewall. Might be a two man job for that one or waiting until old engine/trans is out to have more space.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine & trans have been removed. Couple snags here and there but came out relatively easily. There always has to be an oil spill in one way shape or form as well. Found a bad inner tierod on driver side and a sheared control arm bushing bolt on passenger side from someone down the line before me. Hopefully drilling and an easy-out will fix that. 

20210227_104740.jpg

20210227_104800.jpg

Next is transferring all the engine accessories over from old engine to new one, buying all new hoses/lines and prepping everything for reinstall. 

Front accessories mounted including the underdrive pulleys that came with the B30 engine. Working on replacing some rusty exhaust flange studs from the headers and slowly marking all electrical plugs before pulling the manifold off the old B25. Trying out some metal rescue rust dissolver. Letting it sit 24-36 hours and seeing what it does. 

20210307_113337.jpg

20210307_112711.jpg

The metal rescue rust removal bath worked great! The exhaust manifold studs came out looking like new and the broken downpipe studs were cleaned enough to be able to be heated with a torch slightly and air hammered out with ease. I will just use a nut/bolt combo for the downpipe flange connection to make things easier. Exhaust manifolds back on the engine with new gaskets and upstream o2 sensors. Also installed the SAI block off plate on the engine as well as I dont plan on putting that back in. 

I started breaking down the passenger front axle due to a torn inner cv boot. Just gotta fill that back up with grease and clamp new boot on, then reassemble.

20210313_101256.jpg

Also started getting the clutch lines and new slave cylinder squared away. 

20210313_102023.jpg

20210313_102013.jpg

Replaced driver side engine mount and the old one was squished down pretty good. Surprised there wasn't any cracking in the rubber. 

20210312_190522.jpg

Then moved onto the dreaded intake manifold rats nest. I wanted to move everything that I could over from the B25 engine since I know that stuff worked well. Found a torn intake boot on both engines in same location (this could explain my misfire issue on B25). Will be ordering new boots along with new intake manifold gasket. I took my time marking every hose and electrical connector with different color paint markers while transferring things over to the B30 manifold. Hopefully this makes things a lot easier for reinstall. 

20210313_103521.jpg

20210313_103519.jpg

20210313_123638.jpg

And all done.

20210313_134024.jpg

Anybody looking for an M54B25 to buy? Would be nice to get it out of the garage, so I can pull the Z3 Coupe out to stretch its legs. 😁

4 hours ago, HipMF said:

DM sent. Still have my compact sitting here with a blown headgasket...

Where'd you get a deal on the 3L? Do they have more? :)

It was a guy on craigslist in Trevor, WI, close to IL border that had a couple storage garages full of parts. He's always parting out different bmws and has parts galore. I can look at CL again and see if he has another post to get contact info.

5 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Thanks! I give credit to a friend of mine who enjoys cleaning. Me, not so much, lol.

I have been over here ready with toothbrush and Simple Green waiting for an invite to the cleaning party.

1000 shop towels later, It looks so good

4 hours ago, B C said:

I have been over here ready with toothbrush and Simple Green waiting for an invite to the cleaning party.

1000 shop towels later, It looks so good

Lol. Chris was working on his motorcycle this past weekend. Out of nowhere he stopped, walked over to the engine bay and started cleaning it. I wasn't going to stop working on the intake and cv axle to stop him. 🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Lol. Chris was working on his motorcycle this past weekend. Out of nowhere he stopped, walked over to the engine bay and started cleaning it. I wasn't going to stop working on the intake and cv axle to stop him. 🤷‍♂️

lol. @The Full Banana is the same way. Put a cleaning product and towel in his line of sight and he can't resist the urge to start cleaning engine bays. 

Ran into a snag with the broken control arm bolt stuck in the car frame from one's the previous owners. Have tried drilling it out and using extractor with no luck. Next step is heating with propane torch and quenching with wd40 to see if that breaks it free with extractor. If not, guess it's drilling out to bigger size, retapping, enlarging hole on control arm mount and bolting it in with bigger bolt. 

50 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Ran into a snag with the broken control arm bolt stuck in the car frame from one's the previous owners. Have tried drilling it out and using extractor with no luck. Next step is heating with propane torch and quenching with wd40 to see if that breaks it free with extractor. If not, guess it's drilling out to bigger size, retapping, enlarging hole on control arm mount and bolting it in with bigger bolt. 

No dice on welding a nut to it? Or is it too far recessed into the frame?