WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Touring Life

Bassboy3313

Some of you know that my daily is an e46 325xi touring. 

20200524_102937.jpg

As of recently, it may be going under the knife soon for a swap that was too good to pass up. Found a complete M54B30 with complete 5spd trans setup for a steal of a deal. Includes an underdrive pulley kit, M5 clutch and a Spec M5 lightened flywheel as well. 

20200902_121328.jpg

More to come....

Tear down started. Rear main seal replaced, engine put on stand, ps pump removed, ac compressor removed, intake manifold removed, front diff and axle carrier removed, oil pan removed. 

20200913_163043.jpg

Next up is crank pulley removal to replace all timing components. Also remove as many brackets, housings, mounts, etc to get blasted and painted. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Those front clips sure make it easier. Do you have heat in the new garage?

10 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Ya, it's right there in the picture ;)  Attached to a propane tank.

Haha yes it is. Didnt get around to installing a central heater with thermostat yet, so the ole propane tank mounted heater will do for now. works relatively nice if close by. 

Well, plans have changed and the swap is being pushed off till spring/summer 2021. A lot going on with work and life in general, that adding the stress of finishing a swap in a single week on my winter daily driver would suck. And thats if everything goes extremely smooth, which we all know never happens. Ha!

To be continued....

• 3 months later...

Cover up the right side of the pic, squint real hard, take a sip of floor wax, and you can see an X3.

progress is progress! like I say, I did my 24v swap 15 minutes at a time everyday to stay motivated. This already looks way easier than any of the E30/E21 motor extractions we have done.

how bad was removing the pedals?