WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I Have a Problem

GunMetalGrey

• 5 weeks later...

I've been chasing down a tick from the rear of this engine for a bit now, and had some findings yesterday. 
The previous work I've done was removing the cams and opening and cleaning all the lifters, which didn't change anything. I then replaced lifters on cylinder 5 and 6, which did not change the noise. 
I tried heavier oil which helped reduce the noise a bit, but then was loud again, thin oil made it much worse. 

I am seeing metal in the oil so it was time to pull the pan and see what bearing I was losing. The piece upper right was from something else, but this is what was coming out of the back corner of the oil pan as I was pulling it. 
image.png

I found the oil pump chain to be very slack, but intact. 
image.png

I can't leave the chain that loose so I'll be pulling the engine seeing as I'm opening up a larger can of worms here than intended. 
I have not seen any glaring signs of bearing failure which is good (no discolored caps) but I have yet to pull any caps. That'll wait until the engine is on a stand. 

Fun with engines!

5 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

In what capacity? 
I have verified that the pump is still a pump, which is always nice! 

Check the side clearance and inspect for anything that would cause lower output flow.  Also check the relief valve spring, I doubt that is the issue though because typical idling pressure is very low anyway.  Did you have an oil pressure gauge?

11 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Check the side clearance and inspect for anything that would cause lower output flow.  Also check the relief valve spring, I doubt that is the issue though because typical idling pressure is very low anyway.  Did you have an oil pressure gauge?

It did for awhile, then it went missing right around when I got it. It's in my amazon cart haha. 

I question if the horrid old clutch in there didn't help the situation any, as it would chatter like a mother.

Previous dude also speculated that it was ticking shortly after assembly, but not as bad. 

• 1 month later...

Well, fired it up and it sounded the same.
Pulled the head and brought it to the shop, as that's the only thing left.
Dude called and said I had a bent valve or 24, so at least root issue was found. He noted the guides were ovals so it had been this way for quite some time, must've been a very subtle bend on most of them. 

Ordered some goodies and will be back better than ever. 
+1 on the intake for fun
image.png

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

image.png

Supertech Upgraded dual spring kit
Supertech Stock size exhaust valves
Supertech +1 Intake Valves
Supertech Single Groove Valve Locks
Supertech Valve Seals
Achilles Upgraded Valve Guides
Further head port work to accommodate and capitalize on the oversized intake valves

I'm looking forward to the re-tune on the dyno, last time my crank sensor was on the fritz so I was limited to 6100ish RPM depending on engine temp. With the new springs and such we will happily running it up nice and high in the revs without concern!

• 4 weeks later...