WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

How do you feel about the new M3 being a turbo 6?

Ryan...

Link to Car and Driver article here: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q2/2013_bmw_3-series_rendered-car_news

The article talks mostly about the newer, more efficient lineup of BMWs coming out in the future, but the part that stuck out to me the most was this:

"But downsizing is the rage, and while there will still be an inline-six, the majority of 3-series models will be powered by turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The M3 may lose its V-8 and return to a six-cylinder engine, which is likely to be turbocharged"

I like that BMW has offered turbo options in some of the current cars, especially the 135i and 335i. But in my opinion, the M3 should NOT go FI. Part of what makes them so incredible is the fact that they're based around high revving, NA motors, specifically the I6. I feel like going FI is just a cheap way to beat the Audi competition. While I was initially not a fan of the new V8, its hard to not appreciate the 800000000 redline. I think BMW should either improve the NA V8, or develop the most kick-ass I6 ever built :)

Discuss!

to be honest... i think the e9x M3's were a total fail to heavy to slow to much gadgets... i mean my neighbors new mustang GT equals it quarter mile, o-60 and around the track.. (nothing wrong with mustangs but not my cup of tea) BMW must do something different, FI is the thing of the future for BMW, the turbo diesels are here and four cylinder turbos are on its way to the states.. V8 turbo for the new M5 and X5M X6M.... Its coming to us wether we like it or not. I think BMW did lose its touch on the M cars. Idk this is gonna be a huge argument for a long time. My chipped 335i beats e92 M3s... and the 1 series M has a tuned N54 engine, so idk it might be interesting to see what route BMW is going to go with their new M....

i think bmw should just go back to a 6cyl such as the 330hp s54 and get the chassis weight back under 3000 lbs.

here is the power to weight ratios of all m3s over the years:

e30m3: 14 lbs per hp

e36m3: 13 lbs per hp

e46m3: 10 lbs per hp

e92m3: 9 lbs per hp

if the next m3 is 330hp and 3000 lbs it achieves the same power ratio as the e92! but instead they will make it 400+ hp and increase the weight by another 200 lbs again. did you know that the current e92 m3 weighs more than the e34 m5?

unfortunately, the ///M cars are become less about being sports cars and more about having gadgets, driving themselves, and being comfortable.

Guest Charles Dickens

Having a few 4cyl's back in the 3 series lineup wouldn't be the worst thing, but for the M3, I wish it could stay NA, but unfortunately, BMW, Audi, and Merc are forever locked into a horsepower battle, and when one goes up, the others must follow. Better power/weight just isn't something that the average consumer would understand, so I think a less powerful (but lighter and quicker) m3 is out of the question (with the exception of a spec. ed. CSL?). All hope may lie in the 1M.

Guest LaCrosseJake

I'm more worried about the rumors that it's going to be a V6. :(

I can understand turbocharging, it had to happen eventually.

I feel if this V6 rumor is true, BMW officials must know something about 2012 that we don't. I mean the next generation M3 is due in 2013!

God I hate German humor...

Charles, I agree with you statement about the 1M, that's the car I'm most excited about in all of BMW's lineup. After the e46 M3 I kind of stopped caring about BMW because I know I'll never own one newer than the lat year of the e46 M3. That is, until the 1M came out, I think in the hands of a true enthusiast you'd have yourself an amazing little car. Lighter, better suspension/brakes, and a minor boost in power and you've got yourself a future version of the e30 M3 :)

Jake, if they go to a V6 I will cry myself to sleep :(

That is, until the 1M came out, I think in the hands of a true enthusiast you'd have yourself an amazing little car. Lighter, better suspension/brakes, and a minor boost in power and you've got yourself a future version of the e30 M3 :)

Jake, if they go to a V6 I will cry myself to sleep :(

1 series M is a e92 M3 chassis with a N54 engine with a tune and a wide 135i body...dont get to happy! lol ( there are alot of cool things about it and it will be in my driveway in 2 years)lol heavy, the horse power bump is nice for the n54 but still.. its heavy...

and unless that V6 is gonna be some thing to killllllll the competition ill hate it. even if it was amazing. i hate it. M3 + V6.. sounds fucking horrible.. excuse my french

Guest LaCrosseJake

Actually the 1M is lighter than the 135i by 77lbs @ 3296lbs.. I don't find that overly heavy, considering the e92 M3 is right around 500lbs more.

And what do you mean the 1M has the same chassis as the e92 M3? It shares similar (possibly the same) control arms and trailing arms, but I wouldn't say it shares the same chassis.

Edited by LaCrosseJake

Guest FRNTHVY

Which engine versions did you use for the numbers below (E30 - 2.3 or 2.5, E36 - US motor or Euro, E46 standard S54 or CSL)?

Sam

i think bmw should just go back to a 6cyl such as the 330hp s54 and get the chassis weight back under 3000 lbs.

here is the power to weight ratios of all m3s over the years:

e30m3: 14 lbs per hp

e36m3: 13 lbs per hp

e46m3: 10 lbs per hp

e92m3: 9 lbs per hp

if the next m3 is 330hp and 3000 lbs it achieves the same power ratio as the e92! but instead they will make it 400+ hp and increase the weight by another 200 lbs again. did you know that the current e92 m3 weighs more than the e34 m5?

unfortunately, the ///M cars are become less about being sports cars and more about having gadgets, driving themselves, and being comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...