WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1990 e30

Nick_08

• 2 weeks later...

Starting the 5 lug conversion on the front end using the IRP kit, e46 bearings, and e46 325i brakes. Threw on some new sway bar end links while I was at it since those were crusty. I'm still waiting for the carriers to come in the mail. I will update with some comparison of the calipers, the piston diameter is quite close from e30 to e46. 

1Izkkqh.jpg

r7XzuY2.jpg

e30 (260mm) vs e46 rotor (300mm)

mdKYBE3.jpg

aLWy0Tq.jpg

e30 Hawk HPS (which are trash) vs e46 Textar, not a huge difference. The textar is taller and wider.

2qLhx4O.jpg

Finally got the carriers, so the calipers are on. Still need to get some anti-rattle clips. The e46 caliper piston is about 5mm larger than the e30. On another good note i've got the flex sensor harness run through the firewall and wired in, I will be working on mounting and plumbing that in soon. It's going to be badass not ever worrying about the fuel you put in the car. With the flex sensor the ECU will automatically adjust the VE table and ignition table for ethanol %. 

YLWY7tq.jpg

slbhpLE.jpg

8yhnv6i.jpg

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

This might be on the few cars that would actually benefit from running one those Rocket Bunny Kits to fit enough tire under it.

while more tire is sweet, the thousands of dollars he’d spend on fiberglass/finishing/paint/new wheels/new tires, an aftermarket traction control setup that works with the terminator x would be cheaper.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:11 PM, SteelBlue said:

This might be on the few cars that would actually benefit from running one those Rocket Bunny Kits to fit enough tire under it.

I've considered just getting some fender flares but, I really want this car to look like a mostly factory e30 with some minor mods. So the only future option will be to go in...😈

On 11/20/2020 at 4:31 PM, KaiserRolls said:

while more tire is sweet, the thousands of dollars he’d spend on fiberglass/finishing/paint/new wheels/new tires, an aftermarket traction control setup that works with the terminator x would be cheaper.

For now and the foreseeable future, the TCS is my foot. I can't wait to see how these new tires (and the axles) hold up. 

Minor updates to come soon as the flex sensor mount will be arriving in the mail today. 

Managed to get the flex sensor mounted under the car. I need to get two 6AN ptfe fittings to finish up the job (had the extra adapter fittings pictured laying around). I also decided to test my local premium 91 gasoline for ethanol content and contrary to what I've read on the internet, there is no ethanol (as advertised). The internet was saying even the premium-no ethanol still had some in it. 

Knowing the ethanol content is important because my current ve table is based on this fuel. The flex sensor should read this fuel as 0% and my will not add any fuel to compensate based on the flex multiplier table. Once the sensor begins reading ethanol %,  the ECU will multiply my base ve table to administer the proper ratio. Hooray for being able to use any fuel available. 

agIocvY.jpg

T5PkdtR.jpg

IOfr6DY.jpg

ubHi8iQ.jpg

The struggle of dealing with someone else wiring harness.....

VGiRDlU.jpg

11 hours ago, B C said:

You are doing great!

Thanks bud!

I forgot to mention, the flex sensor is placed on the fuel return line which is 6AN. The other line (feed) is 8AN. 

I have a question for the community. I have been really thinking about going to a fuel cell. What do you recommend and what should I look for? 

This is what the flex table looks like in holley, note that I stole this image from google images and the table is not set up properly. There is another table just like this that will subtract or add ignition time per the ethanol %. The possibilities are endless... As a former mega squirt/tunerstudio user, Holley is just way more user friendly. 

hkb9HeY.png

5 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Personally I would not get a fuel cell. The location of the stock tank is in a great spot. If you’re worried about starvation, just get a surge tank setup. 

I had planned on adding a surge tank once I run out of fuel pump.  Since I've had to modify the return line because it doesn't flow enough and the factory tank having old rubber (not ethanol friendly). I think its a better and safer option to transition to a cell. I do agree @KaiserRolls, the factory tank is well positioned in a safe place and low center of gravity. Perhaps it may be worthwhile to pull the tank and modify it to fit dual pumps. There is still that venturi/return line that is responsible for transferring fuel from one side to the other. How do you get around that venturi? 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, Nick_08 said:

There is still that venturi/return line that is responsible for transferring fuel from one side to the other.

Not really sure what's being referenced here, but I would agree that keeping the stock tanks makes sense regardless of any changes that are needed in the delivery system. I put a cell in because the factory tanks physically didn't fit anymore.

I modified/welded a tank on a motorcycle once... and then JB welded it when it weaped fuel through the welds, and then re-welded and re-painted, and it still leaked... Didn't want to go down that road again, but the fuel cell isn't ideal either. Mine's not connected to the fuel filler outside the car and there is air circulating around in the trunk, which settles in the crevices around the cap, so I'm pretty sure I'm dropping dust/grit into the fuel cell every time I open it...

20 hours ago, HipMF said:

Not really sure what's being referenced here, but I would agree that keeping the stock tanks makes sense regardless of any changes that are needed in the delivery system. I put a cell in because the factory tanks physically didn't fit anymore.

I modified/welded a tank on a motorcycle once... and then JB welded it when it weaped fuel through the welds, and then re-welded and re-painted, and it still leaked... Didn't want to go down that road again, but the fuel cell isn't ideal either. Mine's not connected to the fuel filler outside the car and there is air circulating around in the trunk, which settles in the crevices around the cap, so I'm pretty sure I'm dropping dust/grit into the fuel cell every time I open it...

On 11/24/2020 at 9:32 AM, KaiserRolls said:

Personally I would not get a fuel cell. The location of the stock tank is in a great spot. If you’re worried about starvation, just get a surge tank setup. 

I've got something in the works for the stock fuel tank 😈.

@HipMF the late model e30 fuel tank uses a venturi type of jet pump to get fuel transferred over the saddle to the passenger side of the tank where the fuel pump is. The issue I had  is that the venturi is too small thus restricting my fuel return and backing everything up (i.e my fuel pressure was not adjustable it was pegged at 70 psi due to this restriction). My fuel pump is massive like 525lph. 

@KaiserRolls this venturi pump is the reason a surge tank setup wouldn't work with the factory fuel system (unless you didn't plumb the return to the surge tank). You have to be able to transfer fuel over the saddle. Unless you have an early model tank.

I found an aftermarket high flow venturi pump and I will be retrofitting a whole new hangar system to the stock fuel tank...hold my beer. Updates to come. In the meanwhile, check out my haggard (but it worked) fix to relieve the return fuel pressure.

D2umG8U.jpg

Alrighty so this is working out quite well so far. The tank has a reinforcement plate spot welded in 6 spots surrounding the hangar mount. These 6 spot welds just happen to line up perfectly with the aftermarket hangar that I have :). 

YXlDFZo.jpg

WKzZopQ.jpg

Here's that reinforcement plate that was inside the tank. Had to be removed so that the split ring mount could be used in its place. It was easy enough. 

vHu6Yjg.jpg

gQowsZD.jpg

Last, here is a preliminary look at the new hangar, these straight fittings won't be used. The fittings are 1/4" NPT and I have 6an adapters installed. I also already have the electrical bulkhead fitting installed as well. Just waiting on the venturi pump which should be in today and then I have one final order to submit from McMaster to get the rest of the hardware. 

hEskHEH.jpg

Finished up the hangar. The theme is PTFE...everything is PTFE to withstand ethanol. Even the shrink wrap is PTFE and sealing. I have an order on the way from summit with the AN fittings and AN hose needed to wrap this up and install the tank back in the car. All of this crap for a return line restriction. On the plus side, everything in the feed and return is 3/8" vs the factory 5/16" if it's even that with those tight kinked bends (especially on the factory hangar). If I need more fuel I will now be able to utilize a surge tank no problem. 

PhicMv8.jpg

Managed to get that all in there, took a little bit.

dhkmaQn.jpg

O-ringed the bolts

BUmzSxK.jpg

Bam! Final product.

843Pzd6.jpg

For good measure...

Ej6PspK.jpg

And here is the jet pump pickup...good ol zip tie

qziINsr.jpg