WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1990 e30

Nick_08

Updates: 

1. Its amazing how forgiving powder coating can be and how good it looks. Check it out, I literally took this piece threw it in the oven for outgassing and preheat and put some powder on it. 

paoY4pZ.jpg

ZJhTu0j.jpg

bvHVC7K.jpg

2. Got heat shielding? Perhaps overboard? No chances. Exhaust has been installed for the last time. There are 3 v-bands and 2 collector flanges, the shit lined up perfectly...no worries on blowing out a flex pipe.

msGFGT3.jpg

7X0HqTW.jpg

Basically wrapped up the engine bay today. I have to figure out where I'm going to mount the remote oil filter. Bleed the brakes and clutch. Exhaust is "temporary", I intent to install an electric cutout for the side exit and run a bmw aftermarket cat back exhaust/muffler. We'll see....its all 3.5" round/oval.

I do need someone's help or ideas, I forgot to check clearance for the headlight and the turbocharger intake tube. The headlight (euro smiley) will fit without the cap in place. Is there anyone who has needed to modify the cap or came up with an idea to gain clearance? 

M9clXyY.jpg

t3E6sao.jpg

xza6BjP.jpg

VTe9aak.jpg

0RF5rl9.jpg

qWrK7tp.jpg

V45JCjn.jpg

lfy3rVx.jpg

dRQ1wRx.jpg

4KDJGpS.jpg

W3iD4QY.jpg

f2wQZ1F.jpg

hu5JDGu.jpg

On 8/28/2020 at 1:26 AM, KaiserRolls said:

nice packaging, attention to detail is awesome! (tbolt thread caps)

also this is going to be reeeeeeally loud lol

Yeah I'm excited to see what it hears like through that turbo, the cam is just nasty. Hoping to get an exhaust on there that makes it as quiet as stock. Thanks @KaiserRolls

On another note, I think I've got the solution to any future fueling problems...this thing is good for 535LPH at 40psi. The pump barely fits in the hole of the e30 tank. I've got to get creative with the hangar assembly, the line needs to be bigger (3/8"/10mm). I'm looking at aftermarket options. If anyone has experience modifying the fuel pump assembly please chime in. 

TJWage5.jpg

I got the new oil filter relocation set up, pics to come in the future on that.

Got the first start up done today but unfortunately I cannot control the fuel pressure. The lowest it will go is 70 psi, with the Aeromotive 13139. The e30 fuel return is too small, apparently on late model e30s there is a venturi on the drivers side of the tank that sucks fuel to the other side of the tank. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I would like to keep the factory tank which means that Venturi system needs to stay intact for the tank to work properly. I might tee the return as it enters the factory location and run another line up to the fuel pump and install a fitting. Anyone have this issue before? What a pain...

Apparently this new fuel pump is the shit...lol 

Finally go the car on the ground ready to street tune. Just teed on the return and added a fitting to the DS sending unit, fuel pressure is solid. Oil filter relocation is mounted (none of it touches by the way). Ground clearance is solid, lowest point of anything is the turn down which is about 3.75". And added some pictures of the interior, wire diagram I made, and glove box mess. 

AL4BeNt.jpg

MBSGE43.jpg

yUF4myJ.jpg

fJ0f8p3.jpg

xX1MkmC.jpg

lwyqEgE.jpg

PkdfuW1.jpg

f7l2wkk.jpg

B4ezwRI.jpg

3ADOf5I.jpg

"

Alright I've entered full on sleeper mode. I added the 3.5" cutout and a full 3" exhaust with a resonator/bullet muffler and a walker sound fx 18160. Thing is so quiet, driving down the road can't hear the engine at all. In fact. this made me worried because now I can hear all these e30 noises I haven't heard in a long time. Subtle transmission sounds, rattles, its crazy. The car has polyurethane mounts everywhere. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the rear section when I had it out. 

a9uTJgm.jpg

yqWqc9P.jpg

9lipyoh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've started collecting parts to convert the rear of my car to 5 lug. Z4 hubs, calipers, and rotors with a mounting bracket from SRS. I intend to keep my e38 style 5's and put a 245/50 DR back there. Anyway, listen to the sound of this S369 and Tial 50mm...interior (exhaust) is so quiet all you hear is whining from the drivetrain. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm converting the rear to 5 lug using z4 hubs, this adds minimal width (like 2mm per side) unlike the z3 and ti swap. This will allow me to remove the 20mm spacer/adapters needed to run the e38 style 5's and add a much larger tire. Going from a 205/45-16 to a 245/45-16. Anyway, I need more traction...so it starts. An added bonus is the e46 325i brakes a quite a bit larger. I do have to say, the B90 paid for itself again...worth the investment 10 or so years later.

7ylDaKk.jpg

tYhw6j8.jpg

P24YTHg.jpg

IShISOH.jpg

k2vbP7V.jpg

Edit* forgot to add, the e46 rotors are also vented...check it out. 

vZemYv4.jpg

24 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

What rear caliper adapters did you use? Looks like it all fit together perfectly! 

These are rebuilt e46 325i calipers. They fit with adapting brackets from SRS concepts. Completely bolt on, even the brake line.  I will post some pictures/measurements of the factory e30 and e46 caliper side by side. The piston is much larger on the e46 unit. 

Part number:  34216758135 (left) &  34216758136 (right)