WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Subaford WRX150 SVTI

patsbimmer1

I've been on the fence about keeping the truck for awhile but after I had two Cayenne Diesels fall through due to dealer incompetence I have given up.  Along with the amount camping we do has proven it's useful to have the truck bed.  So now that i'm keeping this turd it can't stay stock.  First up is a set of wheels and tires!  They are KMC Dirty Harry 18x8.5 et0 with LT275/70r18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2.  I'm happy with the "meaty flush" look on the truck and love the bronze even if it means I have to put up with Subaford jokes (that have already been rolling in btw).

I've already installed a Hopkins Insight brake controller since the truck didn't come with one.  I didn't want to do the OE conversion because I wanted to be able to transfer it to future vehicles if needed.  A lot of what I'll end up doing is to make it a more capable tow vehicle.  The 2.7l ecoboost has never left me wanting more power hauling our 26' 5k lb camper but the F150 chassis is soft.  Even with a weight distribution hitch with sway control properly set up I've had a couple "moments" on the road from wind or passing semi trucks.  After a couple years I'll probably move into a Super Duty but until this this turd will have to do.

Next up:

• 2" Leveling kit
  • Stiffer rear shocks
  • Rear air springs
  • Decent fucking headlights

BEFORE

IMG_20200807_123217.jpg

AFTER

IMG_20200807_132845.jpg

IMG_20200807_135115.jpg

IMG_20200807_135430.jpg

• 3 months later...

I can cross two items off of my list.  I bought a 2" Rough Country leveling kit which I had installed by a buddy of mine in Waukesha and I bought a set of Morimoto XB LED headlights from work after getting them brought on as a new vendor.  The leveling kit made a world of difference for the stance of the truck!  I did notice a little bump steer afterwards so I had an alignment done by Jerry's in Waukesha and that cleared that issue right up.

The headlights are fucking wonderful!  I haven't gotten a decent picture at night with them so you'll have to suffer through the one I have.  They look much better than stock AND they're FUNCTIONAL!  Little known fact but the stock headlights on an F-150 are powered by candlesticks made by gnomes.  These are the headlights that should have come on this truck.  From a safety perspective it is absolutely unacceptable the amount of light the stock halogens put out at night.  The Morimoto's were easy to install once you get over the fact that just about every modern truck requires the whole grill to come out to change the lights.  They came with very good written instructions and there's plenty of DIY's online if you can't figure out the written instructions.

I also had the chance to drive in a little bit of snow and can tell you already these Nitto Terra Grappler G2's are far better than the Michelin's that came on this turd.

Next up:

• Tonneau cover
  • Rear air springs
  • Stiffer rear shocks
  • Bed step (because I'm getting old)

PXL_20201124_154624669.jpgPXL_20201124_154613238.jpgPXL_20201112_012328724.jpg

Were the stock lights halogens?

Brother, pretty disappointed that KC Lights and some naked lady mudflaps aren’t anywhere on your list but I reckon this is America and you have your freedom to mod as you please.

My dad has a new 2.7 and completely loves it. Gets embarrassingly good gas mileage. Embarassing because its the same mileage any of the underpowered 4 cylinder SUVs would normally attain.

3 hours ago, B C said:

Were the stock lights halogens?

Brother, pretty disappointed that KC Lights and some naked lady mudflaps aren’t anywhere on your list but I reckon this is America and you have your freedom to mod as you please.

My dad has a new 2.7 and completely loves it. Gets embarrassingly good gas mileage. Embarassing because its the same mileage any of the underpowered 4 cylinder SUVs would normally attain.

They were halogens.  The LED headlights weren't an option on the XLT but were optional on the Lariat and up.  No KC lights or naked lady's as of yet... maybe that's a later stage of the trucker owning process.  Maybe that's when I get to the acceptance portion of ownership.  The 2.7 has been great, really.  It's not slow and gas mileage is better than my M3 so it's got that going for it.  I typically see 20-22 mpg in normal driving but I've averaged up to 24 mpg on a tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm one step closer to making my truck useable and added a Rough Country soft roll up tonneau cover.  The installation was very easy and it pulls nice and tight when closed.  I was really waffling between this and a tri fold hard cover but realistically I don't keep things in the bed of my truck that need that level of protection and the convenience of the roll up soft top was very appealing.

PXL_20210410_203424755_MP.jpg