Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Wheel Identification


Recommended Posts

There’s an old e28 parked outside a shop near my house with these wheels on it. I looked for awhile today and wasn’t able to even find another picture of them, +10 internet points to whoever can figure out what specific type of MOMO wheels they are. All I can tell from looking at them is that they’re 16x7 or something similar.

85865AC0-ACF5-413C-BBF6-A67AA90CD263.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, B C said:

Nice find! First time that I have seen those as well

It seems that they made some similar styles, but yeah I’ve never seen these. I really like them on the car, they fit it well. I have to fight the urge to get the car they’re attached to, it’s a project 535is but it’s cheap. The dealbreaker is no title 😢. I might drive by it again and see if it has a LSD, that alone would be worth near what he’s asking. Could be a decent partout candidate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

It seems that they made some similar styles, but yeah I’ve never seen these. I really like them on the car, they fit it well. I have to fight the urge to get the car they’re attached to, it’s a project 535is but it’s cheap. The dealbreaker is no title 😢. I might drive by it again and see if it has a LSD, that alone would be worth near what he’s asking. Could be a decent partout candidate. 

If it's decently clean it would be worth tracking down the title. They're worth money now more than ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

If it's decently clean it would be worth tracking down the title. They're worth money now more than ever.

You might be right, I’ll look into what the process might be for this case. I don’t want to get myself into an expensive mess for a rough e28 if I don’t have to. I believe the guy said it was a SC or GA car, the underside would make me believe that. No rust on the pans that I saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been searching all over and I can't figure out what they are, but they look cool! They're close to MOMO Star's (a personal favorite of mine, especially the R3) but the spokes are wider, they dont have provisions for a center cap that covers the lugs, and they have MOMO embossed on the spoke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I've been searching all over and I can't figure out what they are, but they look cool! They're close to MOMO Star's (a personal favorite of mine, especially the R3) but the spokes are wider, they dont have provisions for a center cap that covers the lugs, and they have MOMO embossed on the spoke.

I came to the same conclusion, they look a lot like a one-piece version of the R3. I’ll keep digging, maybe someone on R3V or Facebook would have some insight. There’s gotta be an old catalog somewhere that has them on it, wouldn’t you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

these are OWOW brand, as in Oh, Wow, these are fake. 

well, they smell like replicas to me, anyways. 

i cant find any other examples where momo has emboss their name on spokes like that. 

it doesnt have center caps (cheaper to be capless for replicas) 

momo does emboss wheel specs on the inner lip on their star wheels, this one doesnt have that

if they are indeed real, maybe obscure custom race wheel?

i'm trying to decide if something fishy is going on with the lug pattern/center bore. like if these are 5x130 with adapters, or something.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

these are OWOW brand, as in Oh, Wow, these are fake. 

well, they smell like replicas to me, anyways. 

i cant find any other examples where momo has emboss their name on spokes like that. 

it doesnt have center caps (cheaper to be capless for replicas) 

momo does emboss wheel specs on the inner lip on their star wheels, this one doesnt have that

if they are indeed real, maybe obscure custom race wheel?

i'm trying to decide if something fishy is going on with the lug pattern/center bore. like if these are 5x130 with adapters, or something.  

I hadn't considered that and I'm inclined to think you are right about them being fake. I don't think I've ever seen a replica momo wheel (not that I was looking very hard) but its entirely possible! The only way to know more is to take them off and look at the back for stampings/etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

You might be right, I’ll look into what the process might be for this case. I don’t want to get myself into an expensive mess for a rough e28 if I don’t have to. I believe the guy said it was a SC or GA car, the underside would make me believe that. No rust on the pans that I saw.

Sounds like a car I would be interested in (manual?), but the title issue isn't something I'd want to deal with either. Keep me in mind if you decide to dig into this more. You can keep the wheels if you want them. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HipMF said:

Sounds like a car I would be interested in (manual?), but the title issue isn't something I'd want to deal with either. Keep me in mind if you decide to dig into this more. You can keep the wheels if you want them. 😉

Yup, manual 535is. I’m gonna check today to see if it has a LSD, might make it worth it for a partout or something. Drivers side front fender is gone, as is the front bumper, grilles, valance, etc. Hood is a little bent up as well. Interior is mostly gone, all the seats and door cards are missing with the exception of the rear seat bottom.

Apparently it was the victim of a pretty stupid move by the previous owner, who tried to tow it around his yard or something with his pickup. Left it in gear with the ignition on, and it bump-started itself and hit a small tree, resulting in the damage. Radiator was fine though and doesn’t look like it was hit hard enough to do real damage. I guess the intention was to convert it to a track car, but it never got finished. 
 

I’ll keep you in the loop for sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

No idea what those are, although I don't think they are fake. Vintage MOMO wheels had the embossed logo like that. Look at MOMO GTP or magnesium wheels.  I spent more time that I should admit searching. I assume they are some type of competition wheel by the style of them. Sizing on the other hand likely would not make them worth much unless they are made from something that is not aluminum (Magnesium or titanium).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jdesign said:

No idea what those are, although I don't think they are fake. Vintage MOMO wheels had the embossed logo like that. Look at MOMO GTP or magnesium wheels.  I spent more time that I should admit searching. I assume they are some type of competition wheel by the style of them. Sizing on the other hand likely would not make them worth much unless they are made from something that is not aluminum (Magnesium or titanium).

Yeah, seems odd that someone would go though the trouble of making replica momos in a style like this, but who knows. Tempted to run back down there and ask the guy if I can pull a wheel to check to specs or markings just for giggles. I’m really intrigued by these, even if they are fake I’d like to know more about them. Also gives me a chance to see what lowering springs and suspension work it has...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, seems odd that someone would go though the trouble of making replica momos in a style like this, but who knows. Tempted to run back down there and ask the guy if I can pull a wheel to check to specs or markings just for giggles. I’m really intrigued by these, even if they are fake I’d like to know more about them. Also gives me a chance to see what lowering springs and suspension work it has...

Make sure to take a Aluminum magnet to check the material.

 

 

 

😏

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.