WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BBS RC Center Cap Wrench

Bassboy3313

31 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

Sounds like a great 1st project for a 3d printer!

I was actually looking for a 3d print file online earlier. There is one for the smaller center caps, but nothing I can find for the larger ones like mine. I'll for sure be watching as many tutorials on Fusion360 as I can to learn how to create 3d files from scratch. 

3 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

If you can find dimensions, I can probably throw a part file together for you this evening if you wanted.

That'd be pretty dope. I am going to snap a picture of the center cap head on best I can later and draw up some dimensions. Then mess around with Fusion360 or something to see what I can figure out. I will send the pic and dimensions to you as well tho if you feel like whipping something up. 

So I actually just 3D printed a 6 sides one just to see if it would maybe work, but it didnt. I think if it had the notches between the points (like the first one Tom linked) to accommodate the 12pt center cap, it may have worked.

2020-07-07.jpg

I feel like an idiot tho. The 12pt wrench 3D file that I found which I thought was for a smaller size, is actually the correct size. My 3D print program autoscaled it down to 65% to fit my print bed. When I bring it back up to 100% scaled, it is too large for my printer no matter how I rotate it. My solution, chop the handle down an inch or so and rotate it to fit the print volume and use supports.

Original

image.png

After chopping the handle down to fit

2020-07-07.jpg

2020-07-07.jpg

And showing the 3D print layers with support material

2020-07-07.jpg

Just hit go on a 21 hour print, so we shall see how it turns out.

14 minutes ago, Nick_F said:

if it doesnt work you can send me the file and I can print it at work

Thanks! I wanted to give it a whirl on my machine to see if it was capable or not. I'm very impressed. 

If anyone needs the 6pt wrench I originally printed, let me know. I have no need for it.

1 hour ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Thats a good question. I never really pay attention to the amount of material my program estimates per print. I’ll have to remember to do that and divide the cost of a spool of filament by lengths.

Just curious if the juice was worth the squeeze for lack of a better phrase.  

3 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Just curious if the juice was worth the squeeze for lack of a better phrase.  

I just opened my print file back up. Says that it used 32.09 meters (or approximately 95 grams) of filament to print. The filament spool I am using cost me $23 for 1kg. We all know that 1kg equals 1000 grams. So dividing $23 by 1000 grams gives you 0.02 cents per gram. Multiple that by the 95 grams and it cost me $2.19 to print this wrench. I'd say this juice was worth the squeeze for sure!

17 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

I just opened my print file back up. Says that it used 32.09 meters (or approximately 95 grams) of filament to print. The filament spool I am using cost me $23 for 1kg. We all know that 1kg equals 1000 grams. So dividing $23 by 1000 grams gives you 0.02 cents per gram. Multiple that by the 95 grams and it cost me $2.19 to print this wrench. I'd say this juice was worth the squeeze for sure!

Sounds like a new business!