WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

WeatherTech International Challenge with Brian Redman @ Road America, July 23-26

Rekpoint

Random question, are any of the GT40 style cars that race during the vintage weekend authentic originals? I have no idea how the world of vintage GT40's works but it seems like 90% are kit cars

When I was at the last vintage weekend the whole time I was like is a million dollars really ripping past me rn

47 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

Random question, are any of the GT40 style cars that race during the vintage weekend authentic originals? I have no idea how the world of vintage GT40's works but it seems like 90% are kit cars

When I was at the last vintage weekend the whole time I was like is a million dollars really ripping past me rn

Solid possibly but not likely although maybe could be.  I can almost say with 100% certainty it wouldn't be a LeMans winning chassis number but there were a number of these cars run that got into privateers hands that have a racing pedigree.  Even if it is a rep there are some extremely high quality licensed rep's out there such as the Superformance stuff that still aren't cheap.  You think rep and you think fiero bodied rep but some of that stuff is legit tube frame, 427ci period correct replica.

1 hour ago, ChrisO said:

There was a time 20-30 years ago that the real deal vintage Ferrari’s and everything would show up. But as @patsbimmer1 said, any race used chassis are too valuable to run in anything other than large scale major vintage events (Goodwood, etc). All the GT40s are Superformance cars, which are not replicas, but more of a recreation. I believe they were even given unstamped VIN tags from Ford to use. Kind of in the same breath as the Pursang Bugatti Type 35s, but to a lesser extent given SuPer GT40s use modern drivetrains most of the time.

Thats not to say there aren’t expensive cars that run around, as there are a lot that cost more than everyone’s car on here combined. This year will be quite the BRIC as it’s the 50th Shadow Racing anniversary and I believe almost every existing shadow will be in attendance. 

10 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

TFTI guys

Since I dont camp I am not sure where the wiboomers campsite is. The couch at the Osthoff calls my name every year. 

I am sure @wasnt m3 can share where the site is this year.

Everyone is welcome. Tons of shit talking and bullshiting. 

I also plan on bringing my camera. I am not the best at photos but I love having my SD card full with bmws.

They changed the campsite process this year it appears.  Now you just list your top 3 choices.  Last year it used to be you picked off of a map.  Maybe they are they trying to leave gaps between occupied campsites?  I'll be outside of turn 8 away from the party zone 🙂 Two kids coming this year, they grow up fast.  It will be my oldest daughters 4th year.

• 3 weeks later...