WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Congrats!

B C

As I'm sure you're aware, getting fast and consistent 60-foot times will be imperative if you intend to get into the 9s. Just like in road racing, if you're not fast out of the corner, you're losing time the whole way down the straightaway. The car seems to hook up pretty well off the line, but there's no way you can make the most out of the available traction just with your left foot. The difference between a good launch and a bad one will be down to millimeters and 1/10ths of a second. I'm not recommending this solution per-se, but it is one way to take the variables out of your launch:

oWv_V9ej0m-rQFbZncP6ZBRwVKAFs_PWa9IHjSZS

Yes, it's a screen-door closer connected to the clutch pedal. Obviously not the most elegant or highly engineered solution, but it allows you to just slip your foot off the clutch and the car launches itself. Crude for sure, but by adjusting the pivot point, you can get the right amount of clutch slip to keep the engine at the right power output for the traction that's available and it takes the human error out of the equation and allows you to dial in the launch. I'm sure there's a better solution out there, but the point is if you can't nail the launch, then the rest of your run is worthless, and unless you're some kind of 7th level Shaolin clutch guru, you're never gonna get a consistent launch just relying on your left leg.

Thanks guys!

On 6/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, HipMF said:

As I'm sure you're aware, getting fast and consistent 60-foot times will be imperative if you intend to get into the 9s. Just like in road racing, if you're not fast out of the corner, you're losing time the whole way down the straightaway. The car seems to hook up pretty well off the line, but there's no way you can make the most out of the available traction just with your left foot. The difference between a good launch and a bad one will be down to millimeters and 1/10ths of a second. I'm not recommending this solution per-se, but it is one way to take the variables out of your launch:

oWv_V9ej0m-rQFbZncP6ZBRwVKAFs_PWa9IHjSZS

Yes, it's a screen-door closer connected to the clutch pedal. Obviously not the most elegant or highly engineered solution, but it allows you to just slip your foot off the clutch and the car launches itself. Crude for sure, but by adjusting the pivot point, you can get the right amount of clutch slip to keep the engine at the right power output for the traction that's available and it takes the human error out of the equation and allows you to dial in the launch. I'm sure there's a better solution out there, but the point is if you can't nail the launch, then the rest of your run is worthless, and unless you're some kind of 7th level Shaolin clutch guru, you're never gonna get a consistent launch just relying on your left leg.

Believe it or not, I already tried an even more advanced version of a clutch slipping device about a year ago. Clearly you're not watching my videos (kidding) :lol:

Watch this video (I time-stamped it to start at the point I'm talking about the device):

It didn't work as I wanted it too. Would slip too much even at the fastest slip point, and then would interfere with my shifting down the track even though it wasn't supposed to be.

Great idea in theory, but I think I'll just try to train my legs as best I can. It'll never be perfect, but with these bias ply tires, I can almost dump the clutch like I did for my 1.59 60ft and the slicks will absorb the hit and propel forward. Completely different feeling than my radial tires, couldn't believe it 'til I used them.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:40 AM, B C said:

Do you launch in 1st or 2nd?

1st. When I tried 2nd, it would bog every time.