WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

3.45 (or taller) small-case LSD (or open maybe?)

HipMF

Long shot obviously, but there's probably some hoarders out there... Need longer legs for the turbo to do what it does.

As usual, the information I've found online is incomplete and primarily hearsay, but it appears that this ratio was available on automatic e21s and the e30 m20 320i, neither of which probably ever came with an LSD...? Aardvark has some gear sets in stock. I might buy one for research purposes since they're only $90, but I'm concerned that the flange location/thickness on the carrier may be different to accommodate the larger pinion gear, which is why I'd prefer to purchase a complete diff if such a thing exists.

MTInlZi.png

Apparently there was also a 3.36 ratio that was used in the 2002 turbo. Metric Mechanic also lists a 3.25, but I haven't found any application that used it, so I'm assuming those are both unobtanium, or at least more than I care to spend...

It appears an e36 chunk will fit in an e21 case with some sketchy grinding...

20101128160614.jpg

I thought I had read that e36 small cases were all lower ratios, but this site says otherwise. I'll have to check the compact, but I'm pretty sure it's an open regardless...

4 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

If you need a small case to play with I’ve still got my old 4.10 open from the e30 318is.

Thanks for that.

I've also got an e21 3.90 open, but it might be nice to have an e30 diff to compare if I can't come up with some solid data online. I'll let you know.