WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Z3 Coupe content

Bassboy3313

18 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

All 6 cyl z3's have the same rear width, m's just had a different offset rear wheels due to the hubs being further inward. 

Ah this makes more sense. For some reason I was under the assumption that the subframe was different as well. But just the hubs changed? 

I'm still learning new things about these cars. 

Figure I should start updating here. First thing done besides small things was changing out the stereo for a Continental bluetooth/usb/aux unit. 

20200702_163927.jpg

20200702_163959.jpg

One of the main reasons I did this is due to the next thing I've been working on. And that is a Z3M center console swap which would eliminate the clock due to the guages i want to run. I got a set of used Z3M consoles, disassembled them, wrapped them with brushed steel vinyl wrap, eliminated the chrome and popped in some new VDO guages. 

20200702_182408.jpg

20200703_185346.jpg

20200708_132046.jpg

Ultimate end goal is to also switch out the tan interior for black/cinnamon to complement the Montreal blue exterior more. 

Other than getting these console pieces in the car as well as painting/dying interior parts that need to be removed in process, I also picked up a set of H&R coilovers that will soon be installed as well. 

Also, bringing this over from my other post, had to 3D print a BSS RC wheel center cap wrench that works like a charm!

20200708_065822.jpg

20200708_065910.jpg

20200708_065930.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Started tearing into the coilover install today. The coupe requires to take pretty much the entire rear interior out to access the rear strut mounting nuts. I went through this with my e46 touring, so I had an idea of what was involved.

Took about an hour to have it looking like this...

20200717_143813.jpg

Got it up in the air and got the rear struts and springs out. Struts were original and both were completely blown and leaking.

20200717_165506.jpg

20200717_144530.jpg

I'll take more pics tomorrow when I continue. Also, while I have the interior trim removed, the carpet pieces will be getting the SEM black dye treatment and the plastic bits will be getting the Colorbond bmw black trim paint treatment. 

Rears are done.

20200718_124545.jpg

20200718_124524.jpg

started on the front passenger side. After some struggle with balljoint, got the control arm replaced with new poly offset bushing. Couldn't find my stupid 18mm socket or wrench, so waiting till tomorrow to install coilover. Then on to driver side.

Also, had to install a window ac unit because why not!

20200718_124612.jpg

7 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

When I get a house, I am definitely going to be doing an A/C in the garage. Maybe a mini split if I can foot the bill.

Also, how do you like those 3 pod LED lights?

I looked into split system for heat and cool, but just couldn't afford something like that right now. I got this 12k btu window unit used for $100 which is more my speed, lol. 

And I'm not sold on them. They do a great job for a normal garage that people just park in or use for storage. But for a garage that is used as a shop/working on stuff, not so much. Ill be replacing them with 6 high lumen strip lights eventually. 

Since BMW used red locktite on the strut bolts from factory and these are definitely original struts, lots of pb blaster and a torch were needed to remove the lower strut bolts. I eventually got it all done and went for a cruise. Feels good! 

20200719_181231.jpg

20200719_181246.jpg

Sun didn't help the pics. Rear seems like a good height especially for just guessing on the adjuster position. Front can maybe come down just a tad still. All in all, I am very happy with it. 

Still have to install the interior back together, but again, waiting for the paint/dye to show up. 

58 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

great improvement! never knew about the rogue engineering reverse mounts, neat idea. how do you keep the top bracket from pushing up into the cabin when trying to thread the nut on from the bottom? 

That is a good question honestly. I had a bit of trouble with that and had to press it back down from inside the car, lol. I can only assume that once all the sound deadening and trim is back installed that it helps hold the plate down? 🤷‍♂️ Only time will tell I guess.