WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1990 BMW E30 325i - 5 Speed Manual - Rolling Shell[Calypso]

About that time. The WIBIMMERS town bike project car is for sale.

Pictures can be found at this CL listing link

Text from CL ad listing:

Basics:
1990 BMW 325i
22X,XXX miles on the chassis
5 speed manual car from factory
Non-airbag car

What it does NOT have:
Motor
Trans
Driveshaft
Differential
Headlights

New or replaced items:
Brand new gas tank
New hard feed and return fuel lines
New fuel filter and soft hoses
Replaced brake booster
Replaced brake master cylinder
Repaired pedal bracket(was cracked, so this was welded)
New clutch master cylinder
New clutch master cylinder to clutch line hard line
New Condor Speed Shop stainless steel braided clutch line
New slave cylinder
New Lemforder control arms
New control arm bushings and lollipops
New front sway bar end links
New hard brake line from passenger to brake master cylinder
New Lemforder front and rear sway bar bushings
New front sway bar bushing brackets
Stainless steel front, mid, and rear brake lines
eBay rear drilled and slotted rotors
Broadway wide angle clip on mirror

Other noteworthy items:
Currently on 100K mile 325is suspension
Subframe was removed and repainted
Front and rear sway bars were removed and repainted
M-Tech 1 steering wheel
Carpets, rear seat, rear decklid, and all door cards were removed and dyed black
Decent tan Recaro sport seats
Non-sagging tan headliner
Replica M-Tech 1 rear spoiler
Tinted turn signals(vinyl, can be removed)
IS front bumper lip(not on car in pictures)
Have glovebox(not installed in pictures)

The bad:
Paint is in okay condition. I don't know what the previous owner did to the roof, but it is very faded and scratched.
Has it's fair share of dents, dings, scuffs, and scratches, but is overall a decent car.
Has the typical E30 rust spots. The worst spot is the passenger fender. It does not look like it goes through to the chassis.
No on board computer(swapped to a euro clock but took it for the new car)

The car is 24 valve swap ready. Booster has been moved over on the fire wall to clear the intake manifold for M5X/S5X motors. One forkhead was cut in half and welded to the original one to adapt to the relocated brake booster on the interior of the car where the brake pedal is connected to the brake booster.

I wanted to keep this as a longer term project but am dedicating my time and resources to the other car at the moment. This chassis would make for a great auto-x/track, drift, or rally style build. Or clean it up a little for a decent street car.

If you do plan to go with an M5X/S5X for the drivetrain, I have a garage welded exhaust made for the Super Sprint eBay headers that has a Vibrant resonator and muffler that I could include for an additional cost.

The car will not come on the weaves. Will come on BMW bottle caps.

Please text for quickest response. Car is located in Appleton near the Fox River Mall.

7 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

That was fast.

Yeah, I probably should have listed it for more, but pricing a rolling shell is different than a running car so I wasn't sure.

Regardless, I can't argue getting my asking price wired to me in less than an hour of posting of the ad. Some guy in Cleveland bought it and I'm holding it until he gets the shipping figured out. 

Even with the bit of rust this was much better than a typical rolling shell given the full interior, other new(er) bits and general e30 inflation. Most rolling shells tend to be gutted. Sport seats alone even beat up have been going for stupid money.  But as you said you got your asking and have money in hand (!!) so the deck is clear for other stuff. It will be interesting to see what the buyer's plans are: restore, or gut for race/track car.  

1 hour ago, Boris3 said:

Even with the bit of rust this was much better than a typical rolling shell given the full interior, other new(er) bits and general e30 inflation. Most rolling shells tend to be gutted. Sport seats alone even beat up have been going for stupid money.  But as you said you got your asking and have money in hand (!!) so the deck is clear for other stuff. It will be interesting to see what the buyer's plans are: restore, or gut for race/track car.  

He sent me a pic of his garage. It's going to a good home.

image.png

When I saw it listed for $650 I knew it would go fast. An Mtech 1 steering wheel alone is $175-200 at this point.

Did you put on the replica mtech 1 spoiler by the way? How was the fit? Been considering one since a real mtech 1 is hella expensive now and I don't want to drill the trunk for the e28 version. 

50 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

When I saw it listed for $650 I knew it would go fast. An Mtech 1 steering wheel alone is $175-200 at this point.

Did you put on the replica mtech 1 spoiler by the way? How was the fit? Been considering one since a real mtech 1 is hella expensive now and I don't want to drill the trunk for the e28 version. 

I did. It's okay for the price. It's a one piece fiberglass(or some resin) mold. The benefit is that there are no studs, so you can lay it on top of the trunk to get a fit estimation. You will have to do some sanding and modifying to get a good fit. I just double sided taped mine and there was a fair gap in the middle of it. I also could have installed it either too forward or back on the trunk so the radiuses didn't align.

My one thing, you'll always wish you had the real thing(with all replica items). Only reason I got a real E28 M5 one for my other car was because I got an insane deal on it.

Just now, SteelBlue said:

My one thing, you'll always wish you had the real thing(with all replica items). Only reason I got a real E28 M5 one for my other car was because I got an insane deal on it.

Thanks! I figured the fit wasn't perfect, good to know if I decide to go that route. 

Couldn't agree more, usually I would suck it up and buy the real thing but its hard to justify $5-600 for a spoiler... 

4 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Wow, that did go fast!
I'll be curious to see what he finds for shipping, when one of my cars was marked as non running it got no bites, as soon as that changed it got shipped 2 days later. 
Part of me hopes to see it again for sale as a shell, just for the amusement! 

I made it very clear that his down payment on the car is non-fundable and that the car is not going on the trailer without the balance being paid before hand. I don’t expect that to be an issue, but just to have all the bases covered.

Sounds like he’s already got something arranged as he was talking days of pick up early next week.

4 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I made it very clear that his down payment on the car is non-fundable and that the car is not going on the trailer without the balance being paid before hand. I don’t expect that to be an issue, but just to have all the bases covered.

Sounds like he’s already got something arranged as he was talking days of pick up early next week.

Good on the deposit. Always non nonrefundable deposits. Too many people "Talk"